Drysuit Too Big

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also, trilam is non strech, and it it's too tight, you will stress and fatigue the material too much when donning and doffing.

And I fouind a picture with summer garment on
You can see tha the legs are much less baggy and the arms too.
Also here is the picture underwater
Thanks so much for the response. I'm going to give it a go with thick undergarments!

I tried my off the rack suit with a thin merino underlayer, and thicker sweatpants and sweater, you can skip the underlayer since it's form fitting, but I would definitely try it on with a layer or 2 of thicker clothing to get a real feel for it
Thanks so much for the advice! I'll try it with some thicker clothing on!

I've had off the peg drysuits before. Legs were a bit baggy and the bubble getting into the legs really sucked. I used some gators to control that bubble. Worked good, the bubble would only go as far as the knee which is much more controllable than going to the foot.

That is an option if you need it.
OK good tip. Thank you. I'll keep that in mind if the legs are hard to manage.

My custom cut suit feels baggy when I’m wearing super thin undergarments, but fits perfectly with thicker ones. Try it on with some undergarments before you go cutting up the suit.
This seems to be the consensus! Thank you for the advice. I'm thinking it will work out. Still kicking myself for listening to the factory and not getting a custom made though...

This seems to be the consensus! Thank you for the advice. I'm thinking it will work out. Still kicking myself for listening to the factory and not getting a custom made though...

Hey it’s alright, some people have to get custom suits and some don’t, maybe yours will fit good when you have thicker undergarments on. Let us know how it goes.

@Luker : I wouldn't get too carried away with using "clothing" as a substitute for a purpose built undergarment. You may end up with too much bulk with the former which may only serve to reinforce a negative assessment of your suit. By way of example: A friend of a friend tried using a fleece as an undergarment and could not understand why he needed a bunch of extra and wholly unnecessary weight.

Eat enough cheeseburgers and drink enough beer, it'll fit in no time :)

A thick sweater and sweatpants will give you a sense of how it'll fit with undergarments. But the thing is, proper undies don't compress as easily as regular clothes, so they fill up the space better. Bring the drysuit into a shop and try it on with a few undergarments. If it's still really baggy, then you might need alterations -- and in the grand scheme of "money spent on scuba", a couple hundred bucks to alter a drysuit to fit perfectly is well worth it.

Cheers

I definitely wouldn't get too hung up on whether of not it was "custom" sized, if you're lucky enough to fit an off the shelf suit you can spend those savings on really good underlayers (such as a top and bottom from 4th element, or other drysuit specific underlayers). I think you'll be really happy with your suit as is if you strive to only add enough air to offset suit squeeze combined with drysuit underlayers.
Burping your drysuit while wearing what you will be wearing for underlayers (by squatting down and squeezing out excess air with drysuit "ready to dive" but still on dry land) can also give you a better idea of how it will fit during a dive.

With your undergarmart on try the DUI recommended range of motions. See if there is extra material when you are in these positions. Hopefully at these extremes it fits snug.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom