drysuit suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spacemanspiff1974

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey all you drysuit divers...

I've got to admit that the most insulation I've ever used was a 5 mil farmer john at 110' in a Texas lake in November.

On the other hand, I've been thinking of getting a drysuit for winter diving in the Gulf of Mexico and possibly for diving in the California current. Yet I know ziltch about drysuits except that they cost a lot.

I'm wondering if I can just buy a shell with little insulation for gulf diving and perhaps add fleece for pacific north west diving should I venture there. Is this possible or are there drysuits designed for kinda chilly water versus near freezing water?

Any suggestions for use in both?

Thanks in advance.

Yes you can buy a drysuit for use in the gulf and even in florida. It all depends on how much you put under it as you thought.

After looking at my options and trying couple of different brands/models, I decided for a trilaminate suit, Pinnacle Evolution 2. I'll be ordering it in a couple of days. This should also allow different layering options for various temperatures...

Other option I considered was on the opposite side of the spectrum, Bare XCD2 hyper compressed 2mm neoprene drysuit. Also looked and felt good, just a different material and all that goes along (heavier, dries slower, needs a bit more weight but less layering so it adds up more or less the same, etc...).

Hope it helps...

evil_xander:
After looking at my options and trying couple of different brands/models, I decided for a trilaminate suit, Pinnacle Evolution 2. I'll be ordering it in a couple of days. This should also allow different layering options for various temperatures...

I just ordered a custom Pinnacle. No frills...just quality.

Remember to get the p-valve!

Varying your insulation under a shell suit will work well, as you were suggesting.

Buy a large enough suit to have room to accomodate your heaviest combination of undergarments while still allowing good range of motion.

Dave C

Back
Top Bottom