Drysuit Storage - Hang or Bag?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WillB

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Since neither Bare or DUI have a sub-forum under "Q&A for Scuba Manufacturers", I'll post this question here. I was originally trained that the best way to store my drysuit was rolling it up (with zipper draped over the top of the bundle) and storing it in the bag. However, I've seen Drysuit Hangers sold at the LDS. These seem to allow the drysuit to hang without excessive stress on the open zipper.

What is your preferred storage method for a drysuit? Anyone ever get advice from one of the manufacturers on this?

Thanks! Will

One the PADI Drysuit course they advise to roll the suit with the valves on the outside.

Perhaps these hangers are an innovation that appeared after such courses were written.

I stick an old shower curtain rod through my sleeves and support the ends of the rod. this leaves the suit supported by the whole length of both arms/shoulders, and has the benefit of the suit being completely open (zipper open and gaping) down to the boots.

Since neither Bare or DUI have a sub-forum under "Q&A for Scuba Manufacturers", I'll post this question here. I was originally trained that the best way to store my drysuit was rolling it up (with zipper draped over the top of the bundle) and storing it in the bag. However, I've seen Drysuit Hangers sold at the LDS. These seem to allow the drysuit to hang without excessive stress on the open zipper.

What is your preferred storage method for a drysuit? Anyone ever get advice from one of the manufacturers on this?

Thanks! Will

From page 50 of the DUI Dry Suit manual

Long Term Storage (longer than two months)

"Hang the suit up as listed above and, if the suit is equipped with ZipSeals, remove the ZipSeals and store them in a plastic bag or plastic container, taking care to keep the rings on the ZipSeals in their normal shapes; wrist round, neck flat. This will reduce the effects of ozone aging on the seals."

They also encourage you to hang the suit up between diving days "in a cool, dry place away from ozone generators, i.e. electric motors, gas pilot lights and sun light. The suit should be hung up on quality dry suit or wet suit hanger."

I loosely fold mine ensuring the zipper is not bent and is in a straight line and that the dump valve is on top of the roll.

How do you hang it upside down, what do you use/hang it by?

I use one of these:

Blue Reef Ultimate Dry-Suit Hanger from LeisurePro.com

It seems to work well and hangs the suit by it's boots.

Shane
Those are really good for short term storage (as in "my suit needs to dry, and I don't want the p-valve draining into the boot") but are a bad choice for long term use. The boots of a suit aren't meant to hold up the weight of the suit longer term. If you want to hang it longer term, use a hanger that supports it by the shoulders:

The Ultimate Hanger for Dry Suit from LeisurePro.com
I leave my backup drysuits (H & I have four suits between us) on those, zipper open, basically continuously, unless I need some space to work on larger pieces of gear and they'll get in the way. I tend to use the upside down ones referenced above when drying the suit out, but then I'll move it to the latter ones if I'm not immediately back in the water a couple of days later... or roll it and store it in its bag.

I roll mine and store in its bag between dives...of course it is rinsed and dried before rolling and storage....works great!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom