Drysuit rash

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A couple friends of mine get the neck rash real bad and the only thing that worked for them was the apollo seal from a couple posts up....use it, its worth the investment.

Kaz

Update, as requested by LF:

My neck rash still occurs when I wear my drysuit for more than one dive in a day; I think it's because of neck movement. A few months ago I tried something called "Suit Slide", it's a silicone spray that's safe to use on your skin, used to help don/doff wetsuits and drysuits. Works like a charm. I got used to the red mark on my neck, every Monday people at work looked at me funny... It doesn't itch anymore; it's more like a dry suit hickie, not a big deal.

About the possibility of a latex allergy: I got tested, both the blood test and the skin scratch test, both negative. I ended up going to a special Dermatology clinic to get tested for chemical sensitivities; it turns out that I am allergic to neoprene, but not all types. Apparently there are four groups of chemicals used to make neoprene, and I'm allergic to only one of them, the Thioureas. But I have yet to find a brand of neoprene suit that doesn't give me a rash; most LDS's don't know what kind of neoprene is in the suits they sell, and when they call the manufacturer, most of them don't know either. I tried Body Glove & Cressi-Sub this spring/summer and got bad rashes. The merino wool lining in my Pinnacle wetsuit seemed to work for me last year, maybe preventing direct contact with the neoprene, but this summer I found it was giving me a rash in areas of the suit that were worn out a bit. I'm starting my DM class this week and I'm dreading going into the pool, 'cause I'm going to freeze without a wetsuit, yet I can't put one on or else I get a rash that now lasts up to 2 weeks. As for the neoprene drysuit, I recently got a used bilam drysuit; I'm just waiting for new seals to be installed and then I can get sell the neoprene one. That should keep me diving for the next few months.

CUunderH2O:
Ok, I don't know if I should post this in exposure suits or in diving medicine, but here goes:

I bought a drysuit about a month ago, when the SI's in a wetsuit started becoming really cold. I ended up getting a stock suit, 7mm neoprene with latex wrist & neck seals. I've been experimenting with different undergarments (cotton sweats, lycra leggings & coolmax t-shirt, Polartech 200 top/bottom, merino wool & polypro blend long underwear), because I found that often I was too hot under the drysuit and I ended up sweating a lot so it was more like a damp drysuit inside.

The problem is twofold: 1) If I do >1 dive I end up with a red welt across my neck (have to wear a turtleneck the next day it's so bad). It's slightly itchy, but not too bad. 2) My body (mostly the torso area as well as forearms, inside elbows, behind knees) breaks out in an itchy hive-like rash, red and splotchy. This rash at first appeared approx. 24 hours after the last dive, but after this weekend's dives it appeared only about 12 hours after the dive (woke up very itchy at 2 AM). It's interfering with sleep (Benadryl helps but only temporarily & I can only take it at night because it puts me to sleep).

I wore a 5/7 wetsuit all summer with no traces of any rash, so I'm thinking this is not a latex/neoprene allergy. Also, my wrists are not affected by the latex seals (no rash). I've read some threads that say that latex neck seals can cause a red line to form on the neck because they grab the skin & irritate it. I will look into using one of the solutions mentioned (KY, lotion, etc.) to fix that problem. As for the second problem: when the drysuit arrived at the LDS, it was freshly made and smelled very strongly of rubber cement(?) (ie. the glue they used to seal the seams). The seams on it are not taped, so the glue could possibly be irritating my skin when it comes in contact with my skin or mixes with sweat. This past weekend I also noticed that there is chafing involved as well. I'm thinking it's because the suit doesn't fit me very well in the torso and arms/shoulders. I noticed that where there were seams on the undergarments I wore, I got red, itchy welts. As well, two very sensitive frontal spots have become irritated (itchy, peeling and chafed), which is causing a lot of problems, too. I'm thinking of taping them like runners do, for next time.

I'm also thinking of going to see an allergist but before I do, what do I ask to be tested for? Is it possible the glue is an irritant? Or the suit itself? Or the combination of sweat mixed with glue residue? Or just chafing/sweat? I mentioned my problem to my LDS and they said it's probably not the glue because it's the same type as used in wetsuits (although my wetsuit has taped seams). They think it's a heat rash, but I've had one and this is nothing like that. I asked if they have any other types of rental suits I could try but all they have is neoprene ones.

I've also wondered whether taping the seams would help at all, if it is the glue that's causing the problem. Could drysuit squeeze also be contributing to this? I use my BC for buoyancy, and only put a bit of air in the drysuit if I feel too much squeeze.

What about using a barrier cream? Would it stay on if I sweated a bit? What types are available?

Can anyone shed any light on this problem? The itch is driving me nuts but I still want to keep diving!

The best solution that I have found for the is the BIO Neck seal, it is a soft rubber seal that goes below your suit Latex and not only does it stop the latex rash for me it helps with the seal and makes the suit more comfortable. It is an expensive piece or rubber but I love it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom