Drysuit rash

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CUunderH2O

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Ok, I don't know if I should post this in exposure suits or in diving medicine, but here goes:

I bought a drysuit about a month ago, when the SI's in a wetsuit started becoming really cold. I ended up getting a stock suit, 7mm neoprene with latex wrist & neck seals. I've been experimenting with different undergarments (cotton sweats, lycra leggings & coolmax t-shirt, Polartech 200 top/bottom, merino wool & polypro blend long underwear), because I found that often I was too hot under the drysuit and I ended up sweating a lot so it was more like a damp drysuit inside.

The problem is twofold: 1) If I do >1 dive I end up with a red welt across my neck (have to wear a turtleneck the next day it's so bad). It's slightly itchy, but not too bad. 2) My body (mostly the torso area as well as forearms, inside elbows, behind knees) breaks out in an itchy hive-like rash, red and splotchy. This rash at first appeared approx. 24 hours after the last dive, but after this weekend's dives it appeared only about 12 hours after the dive (woke up very itchy at 2 AM). It's interfering with sleep (Benadryl helps but only temporarily & I can only take it at night because it puts me to sleep).

I wore a 5/7 wetsuit all summer with no traces of any rash, so I'm thinking this is not a latex/neoprene allergy. Also, my wrists are not affected by the latex seals (no rash). I've read some threads that say that latex neck seals can cause a red line to form on the neck because they grab the skin & irritate it. I will look into using one of the solutions mentioned (KY, lotion, etc.) to fix that problem. As for the second problem: when the drysuit arrived at the LDS, it was freshly made and smelled very strongly of rubber cement(?) (ie. the glue they used to seal the seams). The seams on it are not taped, so the glue could possibly be irritating my skin when it comes in contact with my skin or mixes with sweat. This past weekend I also noticed that there is chafing involved as well. I'm thinking it's because the suit doesn't fit me very well in the torso and arms/shoulders. I noticed that where there were seams on the undergarments I wore, I got red, itchy welts. As well, two very sensitive frontal spots have become irritated (itchy, peeling and chafed), which is causing a lot of problems, too. I'm thinking of taping them like runners do, for next time.

I'm also thinking of going to see an allergist but before I do, what do I ask to be tested for? Is it possible the glue is an irritant? Or the suit itself? Or the combination of sweat mixed with glue residue? Or just chafing/sweat? I mentioned my problem to my LDS and they said it's probably not the glue because it's the same type as used in wetsuits (although my wetsuit has taped seams). They think it's a heat rash, but I've had one and this is nothing like that. I asked if they have any other types of rental suits I could try but all they have is neoprene ones.

I've also wondered whether taping the seams would help at all, if it is the glue that's causing the problem. Could drysuit squeeze also be contributing to this? I use my BC for buoyancy, and only put a bit of air in the drysuit if I feel too much squeeze.

What about using a barrier cream? Would it stay on if I sweated a bit? What types are available?

Can anyone shed any light on this problem? The itch is driving me nuts but I still want to keep diving!

I had sorta the same thing with mine, but I think it had more to do with the squeeze that I felt during the dive. I hate adding air, but it appears that I came up with a few "hickeys" and a fine rash on my back :D .

I have no idea! I was about to ask the same question when I read your query! :D But when I saw two marks that looked like hickies and then thought about pressure differentials and assumed that the itchy fine rash on my body came from that. But hey, I am open to the truth, ya know.

[CUunderH20]

Hi
Just wondering what are you wearing for underwear ? Also if you used a wetsuit before how do you know that it is not the latex?

Make sure you only use you suit for bouyancy that helps a lot for suit sqeeze it really does. I have never had what you are asking about. But I think it may be sqeeze on different material or you are having a reaction towards the glue. How old is your suit now ?
Derek

What I think you have here, IS a latex allergy.

wetsuits are made of neoprene - usually no latex.

A latex allergy will result in the neck irritation that you describe. Otherwise, the seal is way, way too tight.

as for the rash - salt water seeping in and lots of sweat can cause a rash - especially if you are not wearing clothes that will wick away moisture.

1. get a professional to check the tightness of the seal
2. You may have to switch to a neoprene seal
3. thoroughly wash out the inside of your drysuit with wetsuit shampoo (gets rid of residue
4,. wear polypropolene thermals + fleece to wick away moisture

Not an uncommon problem, but it really does sound like you have at least a sensitivity to latex. I get the same thing - especially when the seal gets older and starts to break down.

Derek,
After reading a lot of posts in the exposure suit section, I believe that it's not a reaction to the latex because the welt is only on my neck, and not on my wrists (both the neck & wrist seals on my DS are latex). I don't believe it's a neoprene allergy because I had no rash before I started using the DS (I wore my wetsuit 4 months with no rash). The DS is new, it has only 8 dives on it within the past month. As for what I'm wearing for underwear, I've tried all of these:
cotton sweats, lycra leggings & coolmax t-shirt, Polartech 200 top/bottom, merino wool & polypro blend long underwear

The skin on your neck is extremely sensitive - more so than your wrists. Hair products can also break down the latex quite quickly, but this would result in blackening of the skin from the residue.

It can be excaserbated by any beard growth too, if that's the case. Might try going diving with an instructor to see exactly what the problem is, before you start whipping out the KY at the dive site.

I'm sure there's a simple answer to your problems...

Opiniongirl,
Well, I don't know whether it is a latex allergy, maybe it is, maybe it isn't, but this is why I posted in this forum. As for the salt water/sweat thing, I dive in fresh water, so that's not it. The neck seal is possibly too tight (I can't get the suit off over my head without another person to help me), but maybe it's not. As for the polypro/fleece combo, I've tried that and the wicking doesn't seem to work very well, as well as the polypro is a bit scratchy and has caused chafing in some very sensitive areas. I will try to wash the drysuit this week, maybe that will help a bit.

beardgrowth??? have you looked at my profile?

And I hope there is a simple solution, otherwise I'm back to my wetsuit in 52 degree water!

[CUunderH2O Derek,
After reading a lot of posts in the exposure suit section, I believe that it's not a reaction to the latex because the welt is only on my neck, and not on my wrists (both the neck & wrist seals on my DS are latex). I don't believe it's a neoprene allergy because I had no rash before I started using the DS (I wore my wetsuit 4 months with no rash). The DS is new, it has only 8 dives on it within the past month. As for what I'm wearing for underwear, I've tried all of these:]

It may be the glue. I have never had a latex problem so I have no idea what it looks like. I thought you had said that it was all over your body ?

[cotton sweats, lycra leggings & coolmax t-shirt, Polartech 200 top/bottom, merino wool & polypro blend long underwear]
I dive merino wool under pants and shirt, I wear merino wool under wear with pile pants. On top I wear a stanley under shirt to keep from rashing even with mild wool it can happen then the wool then pile pull over(climbing style). I am warm to the max.
Cheers
Derek

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom