Drysuit Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On a 150ft dive with accumulated deco obligations, he had an uncontrolled ascent

If he did this dive before he had enough experience with the dry suit to have good buoyancy control using it, the problem did not lie with the failure to take a class . . .

I have not read the dry suit class report above. But I have seen and assisted with a number of dry suit classes. If you have never been in a dry suit before, PADI requires a pool session, and then you do two dives. The pool session may include practicing recovery from feet-first ascents, using two techniques; practicing buoyancy control, ascents and descents, and getting in and out of the gear on the surface, although there are no specific requirements for that session. The two dives include buoyancy control, getting in and out of the gear, and disconnecting and reconnecting the dry suit hose. It sounds to me as though the OP is carefully working on those things on his own.

Having good buoyancy control in a dry suit can take time to learn. Whether that time is significantly shortened by a "dry suit class" or not, I really don't know. I had a couple of uncontrolled ascents in my first year of diving, at least one of which was when I had 40 or 50 dives in the dry suit . . . I doubt having done a "dry suit class" 40 dives earlier would have made a difference. (BTW, I certified IN a dry suit.)

it may give DAN/etc a case to deny coverage.

I would hope not. If this is the case then I'm screwed!!!! I do boat dives with out a "Boat diving cert", Use an underwater camera without a "underwater photography" cert, I have lifted anchors with a lift bag no "search and recovery" cert, I have even looked at fish with out taking the "fish ID" specialty. My take on the DS class is it is all up to the individual. The class for me was I paid $150 for some pool time, two open water dives with an instructor and a card, oh ya I got to use my drysuit for my adv. cert dives now I had a card. I would do some shallow dives and play with the suit, maybe read the book, if then you have issues you can take the class. This is what I did but I did not need the class for the skills but for the card.

Dutch doesn't open until 1st weekend in April. No thermocline then, depending on winter, I have seen water temps 36-46 degrees that time of year. If you are interested we do Training on Request and have a pool on premesis so we do get a lot of people that travel to us from NYC. I don't think class price is unreasonable, we charge $175. 3hrs Academics/Pool and 1 day (2 dives) at Dutch (8am - 2pm) or more if needed. Dives will focus on weighting, getting in/out of gear, ascents/descents, different ways to use suit (buoyancy), trim, propulsion techniques, runaway ascents and basic control. If not interested in this then I do a more Advanced Buoyancy Class with video feedback which has a more in depth look at what Control you have/don't have and helps you develop that. If opting for advanced class better have at least 15-20 dives in suit and some basic buoyancy (using lungs and holding) down first.

Give me a shout if potentially interested in class or just help with valve or any suit issues.

Reactions: D_B
just a note on my class, it was 3 pool sessions and 2 ocean dives ..
the instructor was serious and pushed us pretty hard on feet up stuck inflator drills and would not cert us if we could not (after inflating suit for 3 seconds) disconnect hose, vent and roll upright, pull open neck seal, all in gloves and hood, and do it without breaking the surface after starting at 8ft

From the OP:

Thank you, everyone, for your input.

I have done ten dives in my suit over the last month.

I first sent it it San Diego. The exhaust valve was shot, as was the zipper.

I took advantage of the Spring DUI demo tour at Dutch, did my first real dry dives with instructors. Not a course, but as a non dry cert demo diver. used my suit and their underwear.

I had this thing under control from the first decent!

No problem in any phase of a dive!

practiced recovery, hose disconnect , simulated neck vent ( water was 45F).

Three dives with them and seven more since. No major agro!

I love diving Dry!

My only problem, or skill that i need to master, is diving with unaccounted for weight. I dive with an AL40 bailout bottle, slung, up front. I weight as if it werent there. with it full im considerably negative. at depth its no prob, but, at stop depth its anoying. Im constantly adding and dumping gas. I need to keep some gas in my BC for this, but am afraid of the task load consequences.

There are some finer points i need to tune. that said, i have no plans to pay for a course on this.
I find i learn much more from fun diving with better divers!

Thanks again.

RH

From the OP:

Thank you, everyone, for your input.

I have done ten dives in my suit over the last month.

I first sent it it San Diego. The exhaust valve was shot, as was the zipper.

I took advantage of the Spring DUI demo tour at Dutch, did my first real dry dives with instructors. Not a course, but as a non dry cert demo diver. used my suit and their underwear.

I had this thing under control from the first decent!

No problem in any phase of a dive!

practiced recovery, hose disconnect , simulated neck vent ( water was 45F).

Three dives with them and seven more since. No major agro!

I love diving Dry!

My only problem, or skill that i need to master, is diving with unaccounted for weight. I dive with an AL40 bailout bottle, slung, up front. I weight as if it werent there. with it full im considerably negative. at depth its no prob, but, at stop depth its anoying. Im constantly adding and dumping gas. I need to keep some gas in my BC for this, but am afraid of the task load consequences.

There are some finer points i need to tune. that said, i have no plans to pay for a course on this.
I find i learn much more from fun diving with better divers!

Thanks again.

RH

Sounds like you can use some work, if you really want to get real dialed in, I teach an Advanced Buoyancy Class. I have had every type of diver (recreational, divers with doubles, sidemount and rebreathers) take this class. Very concentrated dives with video feedback, yes I bring a TV to Dutch! I will point out what you are doing right, what you are doing wrong and how to fix it. Feel free to PM or call me for more info.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom