Drysuit Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fly N Dive

Contributor
Reaction score
hi everyone,
I live in boston and am wondering how many people dive drysuits.
I would like to dive more up here, but i get cold when i'm in the water (i dive a 7mm) would a drysuit be right? i'm guessing that this topic has been discussed, but when i did a search nothing came up. also if i am going to get a drysuit i'm looking for a somewhat inexpensive one, as i am 16 and am looking for employment. thanks for the replys.
Fly n dive:) :)

A drysuit will keep you (pretty much) dry and, with proper undergarment, certainly warmer. The least expensive ones, in two ways, are neoprene drysuits. They use the same stuff your wetsuit is made from, are usually around 7mm, too. Difference is that they have neck and wrist seals, attached boots, and an gas tight zipper. They start around $800 or so, the first way they are cheaper than most others. Their material also gives you some insulation, unlike shell suits, so you can save some money on the undergarments. You'll still need something in low temps, but probably not a $450 Thinsulate jumpsuit. The main disadvantage of the material is its inherent bouyancy (you'll need plenty of lead) and its compressability at depth (same as any neoprene wetsuit).
There are several makes and models starting around a $1000 which are better, including Northern Diver and DUI, but those also need warmer undergarments.
Have a look at www.scubading.com , the tested inexpensive drysuits, and have the test somewhere on their site. It'll give you a good idea of what's out there and who makes it.
Also, plan to spend some money on a drysuit class, if you buy it from your LDS see that they make you a good deal there.

Thanks!!:) :D

Back
Top Bottom