Drysuit questions: Front zip or back zip? Trilam or crushed neoprene?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've heard some people talk ill of front zips saying the zippers wear out and fail faster than rear zips. Anyone heard anything like this in one direction or another?

I have not heard anything. The only thing is when you zip it from the shoulder you have to be very careful as this spot is inconvenient to zip. That might be one of the reasons.

definitely want to take care of your zipper. Keep it clean an waxed (don't have to do it everyday). But I don't think there is any more risk on the front as there is on the back. it difficult to explain, but you definitely want to use both hands when opening/closing the zipper to hold the material directly behind the zipper to help relieve strain.

As someone who earns his living in a drysuit 3 months out of the year; I recommend a neoprene suit with a back zip. You can repair neoprene suits at home easily and the shorter the zip, the better, IMHO. Donning and doffing back-zip suits singlehanded is very easy if you use a leash that you attach to the zipper and the the other end to a car roof rack or similar. You just "walk" the zipper closed. Maybe as a recreational diver this is not an issue as you are unlikely to be alone.

I've certainly made plenty of repairs on my current neoprene drysuit over the last year of ownership It would be nice to be able to continue to make field repairs.

How do you get your own zipper open and closed without damaging it, fstbttms? I have heard its possible from other people but without a car rack to test it out on, I can't really picture how it would be done without damaging the zipper. Have you seen any youtube videos of it being done?

I have had two different trilam front zips and never had a problem with the zippers. You really do need to be sure of the fit no matter what style you get. My current suit (Norther Divers) has a cordura covering and it seems to wear like iron.

How do you get your own zipper open and closed without damaging it, fstbttms? I have heard its possible from other people but without a car rack to test it out on, I can't really picture how it would be done without damaging the zipper. Have you seen any youtube videos of it being done?
Not sure why you would think this method would damage the zipper. I attach the leash to the zipper lanyard, the other end to a bow pulpit or lifeline (since I am working around boats) then carefully tension the leash and gently "walk" the zipper around until it is closed. Reverse the process to open it. I'd much rather do it this way than have someone tugging on the zipper. I have complete control over the tension and movement. I suppose if you fell down while hooked-up you could tear the zipper out but otherwise, no problem.

One thing to consider on front zippers is there is a bit of a more generous cut to allow the placement of the zipper as opposed to a back zipper. For some body styles this isnt a problem but try on the suits and you will find what suits you best.

I switched from a compressed neoprene suit to a trilam because I preferred the lighter weight.

Ultimately, this is one of those things that you have to research, make a decision, and then hope for the best. It would be best to try before you buy, because your preference may end up being other than what your research indicates it should be. :) That is what happened to me--however I have never closely investigated a 2mm compressed/crushed neoprene suit. That may be a good compromise.

Having just finished the DOG days at Pelham and dove the DUI trilam front entry let me say that the suit appears that it would never wear out and the self replaceable seals are a great feature. However, with the 300 gram Polartec the arms and legs felt tight (at least on me! Maybe it is just my bulging...er...muscles) anyway, due to them being tight the polartec got compressed and my arms and legs actually felt cooler than with my looser bag style Bilam BARE Nexgen.

I also had problems with the right arm when donning the suit in that I needed someone to hold the arm up while I chicken-winged into it, which wasn't very easy with my tendonitus.

The heavier material also felt restrictive during the dive and required an additional 6 pounds over my usual 18 with the NxGen.

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom