Drysuit question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pthoma79

Registered
Reaction score
Wife and I are researching drysuits (after diving in Washington in November), and have a couple questions.

1. What are the differences between neoprene and "bag"-type suits?

2. Anyone know of any sites that specialize in selling drysuits? Or any that have good deals?

Also, if you can think of any other info that might help us, we'd appreciate it. Just looking for some unbiased opinions, and there are some pretty knowledgeable people on here.

Thanks-
Phil

Hi Phil,

As far as neoprene vs bag suits, here are the main points:

Neoprene:
  • Generally "tougher"
  • Generally better insulation
  • Generally much heavier
  • Might have greater buoyancy swing if it is not made from compressed neoprene.
Bag Suit:
  • Generally less "tough"
  • Generally less insulation, but this allows for comfort across a greater temperature range.
  • Generally much lighter
  • Really no buoyancy swing
(there are really so many different types of bag suits that it's really hard to generalize. For example, a TLS 350 vs a CLX 450 - very different in terms of weight, flexibility, and abrasion/tear resistance. And throw in a Whites Fusion and where do you go?)

If you are looking at a neoprene suit I would recommend that you only consider compressed neoprene. While you might have a slight buoyancy swing it will be much less pronounced than with non-compressed.

I dive a DUI TLS 350. I have also very limited experience in a Diving Concepts suit and a CLX 450. Both the DC suit and the 450 were similar in that they are very heavy and very tough. I don't think I would be as happy with either of those suits or a compressed neoprene suit as I am with my 350.

Why I like my TLS 350 -

• Dries quickly
  • has turbo soles
  • has front entry
  • is light enough for easy travel
  • is flexible for a drysuit
  • has a p-valve :D (you can put one on any suit - don't get a suit without one)
I'm sure many others will respond with different opinions and they will all be valid. In the end, it is likely best if you just try a few different kinds and find out what you like the best.

There are many online vendors, but if you have the option of buying local I would recommend it. Unlike lots of diving equipment, one size doesn't fit all and it's sure nice to try a few on before you purchase.

Good luck with your purchase and what ever you decide you'll be much warmer and more comfortable.

Hunter

I agree with the above poster.

I have a Bare XCD Tech Dry suit with latex wrist seals and neoprene neck seal. I paid about $850 for it brand new, plus about $130 for an undergarment to provide warmth.

My suit is a compressed neoprene suit. It seems very tough, very high quality. It's also rather heavy. However, if you are not traveling with it on any kind of regular basis, that shouldn't be a big deal. I have not noticed much "swing" in its buoyancy. If you go with neoprene, crushed neoprene is the way to go. I would not consider non-compressed neoprene, unless you are absolutely on a budget. But on that note, a good suit is worth spending money on. Just spend it and get it over with and not worry about it any more :)

One note about buoyancy swing. When diving with a drysuit, you may find you have better luck with steel tanks than aluminum tanks. Steels are likely to be negatively buoyant from start to finish. An AL tank, such as an AL80 is going to be negative to start and positive at the end. This means you have to carry more weight. Given that you're already going to have to carry more weight due to the drysuit, if you can avoid EVEN MORE, it's the way to go. I notice a big difference between steel and aluminum tanks. Steel is the way to go :)

Good luck!
nd

You've gotten the basics from the other folks, but I'll add a few observations.

One is that, unlike wetsuits, dry suits don't stretch much or at all, depending on the material. So they can seriously impact your mobility if the fit is wrong. For this reason, I'd say you are best off buying a suit (new or used) that you can try on before you purchase it. Stores that sell dry suits are easy to come by in Washington State! And be aware that a suit that is much too big can be as much of a problem as one that is too small, because of the air trapping that can occur in excess fabric.

Second is that dry suits can range in price (new) from around $800 to almost $3K. Material, tailoring, options (like pockets), custom or semi-custom fit, and brand play roles in pricing. There are some very serviceable suits available in the $1k plus-or-minus a couple hundred range. Used suits are also an option, although it's important to get a history of how many dives, what issues the seller has had with the suit, and to inspect the seals and zipper carefully. Seals don't cost much to replace, but zippers are a big deal.

Finally, a lot of the benefit of a dry suit is going to come from the undergarments you use with it. You want something that is warm without excessive buoyancy, and that will continue to insulate when it is wet (as it will inevitably be at some point). Thinsulate is a good insulator, but is fussy to take care of (should not be washed often, if at all). Other materials are a bit easier to maintain. A few undergarments that are popular in our waters are the Weezle, the 4th Element Arctic, the White's MK3, and the DUI 400g Thinsulate. All are moderately expensive, and worth it.

If there's one item of dive gear that should really be bought at a store, rather than online, it's a drysuit: fit is everything.

TSandM:
One is that, unlike wetsuits, dry suits don't stretch much or at all, depending on the material. So they can seriously impact your mobility if the fit is wrong. For this reason, I'd say you are best off buying a suit (new or used) that you can try on before you purchase it.
If there's one item of dive gear that should really be bought at a store, rather than online, it's a drysuit: fit is everything.
VERY good points to consider. Fit is critical, and purchase without knowing what stock size you each might require, or whether you really require a custom fit, is associated with some risk.

Also consider the type of diving you will do. I had a DUI TLS350 trilam suit which is lightweight and dries quickly. It would have been great for boat dives except that mine leaked like a sieve, despite two trips back to DUI. These days about 90% of my dives are from a rocky beach. The two shell suits I owned got torn easily there. I now have a Diving Concepts cordura suit. It's heavy and a little difficult to get into/out of, but it's as rugged as a tank.

Wife and I are researching drysuits (after diving in Washington in November), and have a couple questions.

1. What are the differences between neoprene and "bag"-type suits?

I've had both.

The "bag suit" is an inner bag of something waterproof and fragile, covered by a separate suit made of something not-waterproof, but stronger.

The other kind of suit (non-bag) can be either crushed neoprene or a laminate made of of several layers of various materials.

The bag suit is very comfortable and flexible, however when it starts to leak, you can pretty much toss it in the trash. By the time my Mobby's started to become really annoying it must have had a hundred tiny leaks that were very difficult to find and impossible to fix.

My next suit was a Norther Diver Cortex suit. It's a multi-layer laminate made with cordura on the outsize, as well as a waterproof layer and probably something else. I don't know exactly what kind of fabric it is, but it's pretty much bulletproof and still looks as good as the day I got it, even though its several years old. Recently I replaced the neck and wrist seals, but that was cheap compared to the cost of replacing the entire inner "bag" on the Mobby's.

Terry

Last edited:
I do a lot of shore diving (almost exclusively), and many sites have rocky entries and exits. A friend of mine, who does the same type of diving, said he annihilated his trilam suit, and recommended I go with a crushed neoprene drysuit since it is tougher and more durable. It certainly is heavier than a trilam suit, but it works much better for kind of diving.

You have to consider what type of diving you'll be doing. If you're doing exclusively boat diving or shore diving nowhere near rocky terrain, a trilam would probably be nicer....it's light weight and dries quicker. But if you're going to be diving hard and run the risk of being smashed into rocks, a crushed neoprene or other durable material.

Suggest you take a look at Poseidon drysuits. I have a Jetsuit with latex wrist seals for my bony wrists, and it keeps me bone dry and warm as can be with nothing but thin Under-Armour under it. I have a Exotherm II that will fit between me and the suit if need be, but so far, down to 39 degrees, I haven't even almost needed it.

Very sturdy drysuit, very good reputation, but not always easy to find locally.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom