Drysuit question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've used both a shell and a neoprene drysuit - ditto the general opinions already posted regarding warmth, durability, mobility, etc.

Shell - Oceanic Aerdura - lightweight making it much easier to travel with, but even with heavy insulation not quite warm enough for water temps in the 30's and 40's; also the bulky insulation restricts mobility.

Neoprene - O'Three Ri200 - quite a bit heavier but warmer than heck; I wear only a single set of heavyweight fleece under it and am plenty warm and able to move around much better. On the down side, this suit adds something like eight pounds to my luggage.

Unlike most of the other posters here, I got my neoprene suit "long-distance," and have been very satisified in spite of not trying before buying. There aren't any shops within 800 miles of me, so I did a custom fit with O'Three and they wanted measurements for EVERYTHING in order to make my suit. The suit fit perfectly. That being said, fit is a big deal in a drysuit so if you have the opportunity to try some on first, you'll probably be much happier with your final purchase.

Unlike most of the other posters here, I got my neoprene suit "long-distance," and have been very satisified in spite of not trying before buying.
FWIW, I did too (from divetank.com). I dealt with, I believe, the "main guy" and he was VERY helpful. I bought a prior-year model at a steep discount and he got the boots switched out to the proper size for me, and gave me a sweet deal on shipping too. We just used Bare's standard size chart to figure out what size to get, and it worked pretty well as far as I can tell. He was also willing to take it back if it didn't fit - and that was key. I don't think I would buy on-line without that option.

Good luck!
nd

Unlike most of the other posters here, I got my neoprene suit "long-distance," and have been very satisified in spite of not trying before buying.

There are very good deals to be had in the used market as well....I got a practically custom-fitted drysuit for 1/3 the price I would have paid for a new suit. I never tried it on, but contacted the seller and decided it was worth buying. I couldn't be happier....so consider looking in the used market if you fit an off the shelf size.

I dove an Oceanic Aerdura for several years - pros - tri-lam is very tough. Cons - I felt that off-the shelf it was very restricting in movement and felt 'big' all the time.

I recently got a Whites Fusion - this is the best thing since sliced bread if you ask me. it's basically a bag suit with a lycra shell over the top - best flexibility I have experienced - better than most wetsuits......

Either way you will wear more weight with a drysuit - and take the class - it will give you good skills that you need when diving dry :)

I dove an Oceanic Aerdura for several years - pros - tri-lam is very tough. Cons - I felt that off-the shelf it was very restricting in movement and felt 'big' all the time.

I recently got a Whites Fusion - this is the best thing since sliced bread if you ask me. it's basically a bag suit with a lycra shell over the top - best flexibility I have experienced - better than most wetsuits......

Either way you will wear more weight with a drysuit - and take the class - it will give you good skills that you need when diving dry :)
Urrm.. I actually used LESS weight with a shellsuit than I did with a thick semidry, so thats actually kinda dependent on what you compare it with..

point from a logistics perspective:

The thinner trilam suits dry real fast.

The thicker neoprene or crushed neoprene suits dry much slower.

Maybe this doesn't matter to you for the diving you're doing.

But if it does, you're a weekend diver and totin' gear in your car or SUV, a drysuit that dries real fast can be less of a PITA.

Whatever suit you get, make sure you get a good quality undergarment.

A lot of people get fixated on the suit, but then skimp on the undies

The suit only keeps the water out. Its the undergarment that will keep you warm and dry. IMHO its just as important as the suit. The design of the undies also play a large part in how buoyant and how flexible you will be.

Personally I use a crushed neo northern diver suit, with flecton undersuit: northern diver suits are popular outside North America.

Shell suits are, as said before, great for travel: they are light, compact and dry quickly.

Neoprene suits are more robust, warmer and more streamlined.

Although many people here prefer either crushed neo or a shell, also consider a standard neoprene suit: they are very warm, have inherent warmth if/when the suit floods, are very streamlined and are a lot cheaper: you can have several neoprene suits for the cost of a top end crushed neo. However as they are so warm you don’t want to be wearing them for long periods on the surface or in coolish water.

Cheers,
Rohan.

point from a logistics perspective:

The thinner trilam suits dry real fast.

The thicker neoprene or crushed neoprene suits dry much slower.

Maybe this doesn't matter to you for the diving you're doing.

But if it does, you're a weekend diver and totin' gear in your car or SUV, a drysuit that dries real fast can be less of a PITA.
Very good point. Im sure my CD4 ProDry (crushed neoprene) suit isnt dry yet and its been ice on the water for a month :p
Not really THAT bad, but the difference is SIGNIFICANT. The crushed neoprene suits is also a lot heavier and cumbersome to handle both while wet and when dry.

If you would like, I own the store in Sidney, BC, just take the Annacortes Ferry. You can check out some of the stock and get a feel for each suit, or a whites fusion, we have them in our rental fleet and the exchange rate will work in your favor. A couple of times per year we pull over "The Tank", a 10' deep freshwater tank on a trailer so folks can test some of the stock, demo days if you will. The tank should be filled at mid january next if anyone has interest in demo-ing a fusion, or some of the other stock.
Sidney Dive Centre Inc. (778) 426 3483 www-sidneydivecentre-com

Back
Top Bottom