drysuit or thick wetsuit for tall diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would have to agree with Elan. I only have about 7 dives and all but my one dive in Bermuda was in a drysuit in 42 degree water. I would not have it any other way. I do own a 7mm wetsuit but from what I can see I will maybe use it 1 or 2 months out of the year. Go dry!

Do the drysuit. I have a 8/7mm suit and in 50 degree water its ok but on the surface it gets cold. The nice thing about a drysuit is that you can layer - In summer I only wear shorts and a t-shirt under my drysuit.

I would go drysuit. I live in FL and even in 80deg water I'll dive dry. A drysuit lets me adjust my undergarments for warm water, cold water, and everything in between. I can add a layer if I'm doing a dive that's a few hours long, and remove layers if it's really warm water. Not to mention I can have a pee valve (that stays on-- I can't imagine one in a wet suit staying on) so I don't piss all over myself during the dive like you have to in a wetsuit.

I can't imagine finishing a dive and thinking "Man, I wish I was soaking wet and covered in sea salt".

BTW- I have a TLS350 if that's what you're looking at, and I love it. It's very flexible. I wish it were thicker however. If I were buying new again, I would HIGHLY suggest looking at the Santi drysuits over the DUI.

A drysuit is the only way to really enjoy a cold water dive. You can do it in a wetsuit, but you won't be underwater for long, you won't want to go deep (suit compresses, doesn't keep you warm), and you certainly won't want to do a second dive in one day...

I know you're somewhat apprehensive about not enjoying the cold water, lower visibility, local diving that you have available to you....but let me tell you what, that type of an environment is great for diving. There's a lot of life, lots of cool things to look at (wrecks, for example)....and on top of that, it makes you a very good diver. You'll go back to the tropics and be like, "wow, that was easy!"

A drysuit is a big investment....but it is a very worthwhile one. Unfortunately, with your height, buying used may not be an option, but do keep your eye out on the classifieds forum, craiglist, ebay, etc. If you can't find anything, scope out some dive shops. Find a stock suit for a tall guy, or look into having a custom one made. It will really increase your enjoyment....unlike a wetsuit (in which, you probably won't enjoy the cold water diving).

Back
Top Bottom