Drysuit Neck Seals - What are you using and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by Tom Vyles
Hobbs,

Whats the right way to do neoprene neck seals so they don't leak. I'm one of those people who aren't really fond of tight constrictions around my neck and I would love to know.

Tom

I wouldnt know the right way to do it, but this is how I am tought for my suit.

take the (inner and longer) neck seal and fold the material inwards 3-4 Cm (1 tenth of a foot) all around the neck.
just fold it once (180 degrees).

if you are using drygloves then you dont fold the material on the arms. just put the latex lining over the neoprene material.

if you are using wet gloves do the same as with the neck seal.

if you check the neoprene seal then you will notice the surface, its kind of "sticky" that surface should be towards whatever you are trying to seal, if its the neck you are sealing then its towards the skin it should be sticky, if its dry gloves then its towards the drygloves, if its wet gloves its the skin of the wrist you should seal.

Thats how I do it for my suit, it might be different for other suits.

I'm using latex 'cause that's how the suit came equipped. I'm going to try a neoprene neck seal when this one needs replacement, but I'll keep the neoprene on the wrists because I use the ring system with my dry gloves. Cold wrists has never been a problem for me.

I use neoprene neck seal and latex rist seals. I had some problems with the neck seal burping and getting me wet but I shunk it down a little and all is ok now.

I don't like the look of the latex neck seals. I think they would be to constricting for me and drive me nuts.:D

I have had both and prefer latex for their sealing quality. Generally if you buy a neoprene suit it will come with neoprene seals. I think the tri-laminate shell suits are more comfortable, easier to get into, and dry quicker, they come with latex seals. The average neoprene dry suit is often only semi dry. I find the latex seals will give more buoyancy, because with them the suit will hold more air. Latex seals wont last as long, neck and wrist seals may need to be replaced every year or so. A split or rip in a latex seal can be a problem that you wont get with the neoprene. Some suits have ring systems that allow the swift replacement of wrist seals. The latex seals tend to stretch so they will slacken off in time. I find wearing a turned under neoprene collar uncomforable. With the neoprene seal, turning my head to look for the oblivious buddy was accompanied by cold water entering my suit. :D

Hi TBG

Having done a fair amount of Ice diving (NCS) and also diving the same areas of Scotland that Budgy is familiar with, I totally agree with him regarding this issue.

I personally prefer the system the British forces use (the Avon rubber drysuit or Pusser's drybag as the Royal Navy call it) It has latex seals and a shoulder zip entry. However, I got my first civilian dry suit in 1979 and have owned 7 different drysuits since then.

In the atttached pic I am wearing a Dream Marine drysuit that seldom leaked (with or without the hood). It has Neoprene seals.

I have also used my Northern Diver Crushed Neoprene (requires an under suit to be effective), for cold freshwater diving in the lakes and have found that to be reliable.

I am curently using a Tri-laminate suit (made by a company which my buddy owns) and with a Polar Bear undersuit. I have made several ice dives with this which only had the disadvantage of condensation on the inside of the suit due to the internal and external temperature differential. Tip - get into warm clothing straight after the dive.

The different types of dry-suit all have advantages and disadvantages but one thing you should consider in conjunction with the suit, is the HOOD. If it fits correctly at the neck it acts as a second seal and will almost totally eliminate cold water ingress.

Another thing to bear in mind is is how you enter the water with a drysuit. (Silent entry method used by the SBS and Navy Seals is the best to keep you dry, avoid 'giant stride' entry and backward roll if possible).

The other factor of course is the bouyancy index of the suit and correct weighting. If you do not equalise the pressure in your suit when you go deeper then water may seep into it via the seals. I think it is better to be slightly over weighted by about 1 - 2 pounds (no more) and the suit internal pressure maintains the seals very well. Be aware that if you are too overweighted this can lead to extra effort underwater and on the surface, plus when purging off during ascent sometimes water can find its way back via the valves if not maintained correctly.

DUI produced a Dry-Suit handbook with one of my drysuits and this was very useful, full of tips and reccommendations. Sadly I don't have it anymore as I think one of my students relieved me of it during a BS-AC Drysuit Diving course.

Let me know if you have any other specific questions.

"May your bubbles flow forever upwards"

Aquamore

Aquamore,
I have just recently started diving dry - we only do shore dives here, but what is the silent entry method? Thanks!

Joe

Hi Weezle

Do you need me to send it again (via private e-mail so we don't clutter up the boards) or do you remember my reply?

Aquamore

Back
Top Bottom