Drysuit Neck Seals - What are you using and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NJdiver85

Contributor
Reaction score
I've read all the discussions on drysuits and have a question about the neck seal. I would like to get some personal opinons on comfort/convenience/dryness of neoprene vs latex neck seals. What are you using and why?

Got 'em both.
Each have their merits. Latex tend to be a little more dry, but it still depends on the shape of your neck & how much you move around. Neoprene is warmer, easier to repair, and is sturdier. I find it a little more comfy.
My own preference leans towards neoprene, though I'm fine with latex.

Personally, my drysuits have always had neoprene seals... I'm just afraid that the latex won't take the beating I would give them. :wink:

Pearce has had both latex & neoprene & claims he likes neoprene best.

So, it's two neoprene votes here.

~SubMariner~

Latex. Definitly latex. The seal is perfect and I never had to change it some 70 dives and 3 years. The isolation is provided by the attached neopren hood.

Just wanted to put a wote in for the latex!

2-2

Latex - why? Because it has always kept me dry and most of my friends that have neoprene seals always seem to have at least small leaks.

Jonathan

personally I have dove both and well in swedish waters there are pretty cold conditions wich means there are some good things and bad things with both systems regarding to that.

Latex
Good Things
Seals nice, easy to use, sturdy and easy to fix when it breaks

Bad things
its a B*tch to seal latex gloves on latex arm seals, the thin area is also quite heat leaking

Neoprene
Good things
Dont press so hard on the neck, seals very nice when using latex sealed gloves, seals nice when using wetsuit gloves. Warm seals.

Bad things
If one dont know how to use neoprene seals then they are a bit combersome and leaks easily, but if done right there is no such problem.

I can tell of a thing I just figured out a couple of days ago.

in a swedish equivalent to this site we talked about dry gloves
where one very experienced person was asked how do you guys do when you go so deep and for so long time period to keep from freezing your hands.
His respond was we use this glove and some electric heating device around the wrists, a cold wrist=a cold hand.
Then it struck me why all the other ppl are complaining that their hands freeze, they are using latex on latex seals and I am using neoprene seals and same gloves as they do and I feel cold but not freezing.

On the other hand neoprene freezes more when you get out of the water.

personally my choise is neoprene for two reasons
nice arm seals and it doesnt choak me in the neck seal.

if anyone has more + and - please feel free to let me(us) know :wink:

happy diving
Hobbs

Hobbs,

Whats the right way to do neoprene neck seals so they don't leak. I'm one of those people who aren't really fond of tight constrictions around my neck and I would love to know.

Tom

I've used both and like neoprene seals. I've always had very good luck with my neck seals -- no leakes yet. Wrist seals have seaped a bit of water once in while, but not my neck seals.

Why I prefer neoprene (in order)?

Tougher
Warmer
Seal is acceptable.
Less choking effect.

Mike

PS. I agree with Bob, both have their merits, but I prefer neoprene.

Proper way to wear a neoprene neck seal is to tuck it down, so the cut end is pointing towards your toes. Just a little air bubble inside the suit holds the seal tight. Having the seal standing straight up allows the air to *burp* out of the suit, allowing a few drops of water to sneak in.
Everyone is shaped differently; I have no neck to speak of & would never even come close to getting away with a neck seal standing straight up.

There's an Irish outfit called Enduro Tech that makes some kick butt neoprene gloves with a nice long inner cuff on the inside of the glove that seals nicely on a latex cuff. They've got kevlar palms & finger tips (wrapped) making for a great long wearing glove/mitt.
Bad thing is they're not easy to find.

Many moons ago in The Great White North I bought a pair of 1/4" neoprene "gauntlets" that were mfg'd by Wenoka. On me they go about 1/3 of the way up my forearm, so they were always well past my wrist seals. They also had textured or kevlar palms .

Plus they had velcro straps up near the top to help "keep the seal". So my hands were usually fairly warm because there was little water exchange.

I haven't worn them in a number of years (no 33F-50F dives these days) so I don't know if Wenoka still makes them, but I still have 'em.

You know... JUST IN CASE. :wink:

~SubMariner~

Back
Top Bottom