Drysuit Neck Seal too tight....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nk5

Reaction score
I just got a new drysuit. The fit is perfect, except for the neck seal which is extremely tight. The LDS is offering to change it to neoprene (extra charge of course), but I want to stick to latex. What can I do to stretch the neck seal? Any suggestions?

Ok, here's an idea, get some scissors and cut it...

Maybe that was a bit arrogant, but you didnt say that you did that already, so whats the problem???

Did you cut it all the way down already, and its still too tight???

Well, unfortunately, latex doesnt really stretch out that much. You can try stretching it over a tank overnight, but i dont think itll do too much.

I would say, try to find a larger neck seal...

LUBOLD8431 once bubbled...

Well, unfortunately, latex doesnt really stretch out that much. You can try stretching it over a tank overnight, but i dont think itll do too much.

Well I could be wrong but I don't think that latex has a memory so if you stretch it it will return to normal when you take it off the tank. (Correct me if I am wrong here.)

But as LUBOLD said some seals are meant to be trimmed to fit. So you might just need to cut it some. If your seal is this type do it a little at a time so that you are careful not to over do it.

Good luck.

Chad

ckharlan66 once bubbled...

Well I could be wrong but I don't think that latex has a memory so if you stretch it it will return to normal when you take it off the tank. (Correct me if I am wrong here.)

Chad

Thats what I thought too, but I couldnt find any info stating that, so I was trying to be safe in case I had to retract somethin I said...

Maybe that was a bit arrogant, but you didnt say that you did that already, so whats the problem???

Now this is classic! AHhahahah

Yep, It's cut past the last ring already. I was kinda hoping that there would be an alternative to a new seal...

:bonk:

NK5,
Man, you must have a neck like Natalie Main of the Dixie Chicks. Just kidding.
The rings are just guides for the "average" range of neck sizes. Since you are considering replacing the neck seal anyway, I would keep triming in small increments until it hopefully fits.
Other than trying to sell you another neck seal, has your LDS been any help?
Good Luck,
Larry

Try to get the whole seal in one long cut so there is no little notch for a tear to start but nothing lost if it does not work right?

You will have to replace the sea anyway...

Hope the first works for you though...

Jeff

My suit didn't have rings on the neck to begin with, so I had to "trim blind." My solution was to get a ball or tube that was just barely larger than the seal and mark off lines about 1/8" apart after making the first big sizing cut. You'd be surprised how much of a difference in comfort the small increments will make. Good luck with your trimming.

If it doesn't fit now you don't have anything to loose. Trim it. Latex doesn't stretch much.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom