drysuit material / style?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kevsil

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
what is the difference between the different drysuits as far as useage, fit , comfort, durability, neck and wrist seals and boots its pretty abovious i do t kkow much about drysuits beside they keep you dry but i woukd like to eventually after proper trainingto grt a drysuit so any help advise tips would be great

Dive Rite 905 is a total POS and the seams leak in the crotch area constantly. If you like playing with aquaseal and being wet 95% of your dives then this is the suit for you.

DUI stands for "Dry Until Immersed" but the older suits were made much better and the customers liked them back then. quality seems to have gone to hell in the recent years.

Santi seems to be pretty indestructable thus far. Only suit that I have last over 5 years and still be dry. I recently had the zipper replaced but the suit is well worth it it and has had a shetload of abusive dives on it.

Others may not agree with my assesment, but it is their right to be confused and wrong.

what is the difference between the different drysuits as far as useage, fit , comfort, durability, neck and wrist seals and boots its pretty abovious i do t kkow much about drysuits beside they keep you dry but i woukd like to eventually after proper trainingto grt a drysuit so any help advise tips would be great

Hi Kev,

If you have a chance, give me a call at the shop. There are a lot of choices, and it's much easier to go over it all on the phone than typing a book to narrow things down.

Mike
815-267-8400

DUI stands for "Dry Until Immersed" but the older suits were made much better and the customers liked them back then. quality seems to have gone to hell in the recent years.

I have had my DUI FLX Extreme for 5 years and it has 200 dives on it. I recently had to replace the neck seal, and had a few wet dives leading up to that replacement, but other than that it has never needed a repair and never leaked.

I can't speak for all DUI suits...perhaps I just got lucky, but in that case I have some friends that also "got lucky"

The kind that I bought is the best, otherwise I would have been a total idiot for spending all that money, right?*

All the others are crap because I'm smarter than those other people.

Welcome to the internet :wink:

Dan (who doesn't own a drysuit)

* Unless of course I am demonstrating how much better I am than those fools who made it by complaining vociferously.

The kind that I bought is the best, otherwise I would have been a total idiot for spending all that money, right?*

All the others are crap because I'm smarter than those other people.

Welcome to the internet :wink:

Dan (who doesn't own a drysuit)

* Unless of course I am demonstrating how much better I am than those fools who made it by complaining vociferously.

Not sure if that was directed at me, but I didn't say anything about drysuits other than DUI. All I said is that based on my experience DUI is not crap.

Since I have never used any other drysuit, I don't know if others are good or bad. I do have a friend that wears a Viking, and he seems happy with it, so I am inclined to think that Vikings aren't crap either.

Not sure if that was directed at me

Sorry. Not directed at anyone. It was said with tongue firmly in cheek, a twinkle in my eye, and a mischievous grin.

The comment was really aimed toward the difficulty one has with getting *any* good gear advice in a forum. The truth is that few of us have enough experience with enough different hardware to have a meaningful opinion. Lord knows I don't. The best a person can do is speak to whether they like the gear that they have used and compare it to other gear that they have used at the same time. But even then, is comparing a 2010 AquaPro doodad to the 2014 ScubaLung version fair? AquaPro might have completely redesigned the product without bothering to change the name.

I am a new diver buying my first set of kit. I have clearly been reading too many equipment threads and talking to too many people.

I'm a really nice guy and I don't start flame wars. I promise.

Dan

Sorry. Not directed at anyone. It was said with tongue firmly in cheek, a twinkle in my eye, and a mischievous grin.

The comment was really aimed toward the difficulty one has with getting *any* good gear advice in a forum. The truth is that few of us have enough experience with enough different hardware to have a meaningful opinion.
Dan

Some friendly dive shops, wink wink, do have that experience.... :D

Yeah, all advice is worth what it cost, so why ask a question, eh?

My experience is related to personal experience with my DUI 450CLX. It's been a great suit and when the dealer cut my seals too big, DUI stepped up and took care of it and offered to add zip seals. It has held up well at around 400 dives. I had the zippered replaced recently and it's good as new, which is good.

I do sometimes get water in my lower arms. This is when wearing wrist seals and having to manipulate a lot of stages, etc. I have the cursed wrist tendon channel. When I scooter, I really have to keep a glove cuff over the seals. When I dive with zip gloves, no worries.

The 450 is a trilam with a heavy outer layer. So, one of the first things to consider is how varied your diving conditions are. Mine are quite varied and I go up and down in insulation as I move from Lake Huron to Jackson Blue in Marianna. Also, being able to go back and forth between dry gloves and fingerless gloves is important to me. I don't travel by air too dive much as the rest of my gear isn't very 'air'able'. So, the heavy material of the 450 which also takes longer to dry, isn't an issue for me. Some like the lighter shell of a 350 TLS type of suit because of that.

As far as lucky and newer vs older on the DUI, I am on a team of divers that almost all use DUI. CLX, TLS, and Flex type. A couple have recently gotten new suits. A couple of these fellows are in the water for over 8 hours at a time while the rest of us are setting up a lot of gear and policing up after them on cave exploration dives. I am not saying the DUI is the only one out there, but all and all, they represent DS diving well.

I have to have the external boots. I spend a lot of time in rocky spring areas moving gear, etc. So the rock boot option is important to me. If I were only boat diving in the GLs, I'd probably rather not have to mess with an external boot as the tech boats are crowded and space limited, so why have another element to mess with.

I know that some are having good luck with Pinnacle suits that I think are crushed type of neo and reduce the underlayer weight. If you can afford multiple suits or dive only one condition, you might select differently. The zip seals are a point of failure, but when I go up to the Great Lakes, I don't lose a dive because of a ripped glove or neck seal. I carry a spare. And, I can go to wrist seals for most of my cave diving. So, as always, consider the 'job(s)' you are going to do and pick the tools to fit.

Feet style - back or front entry - shell material and insulation - seal types - how robustly you will use it (i.e. grind it up on rocks, etc.) - travel requirements - budget are all things I would start considering

Once I decided to go with a DUI, I got a lot of input from the guys that were mentoring me. I went with the 450 and at times I wish I would have gone with the 350, but most of the time I am glad to have the 450. I think I would have ground up a 350 by now. The 450 still looks great and it's eight years old. Many people dive much more in eight years than I do, so they may have a different experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom