Drysuit Lifespan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a vulcanized Viking that I bought in 1987 that is still like new. I just keep it out of the sun and keep it clean. I don't get to dive nearly as much as I'd like, so to date my cost-per-dive (including all I've spent on maintenance) is $3. I'm getting in more dives these days, so that number is coming down with each dive.
-Ben M.

swankenstein:
When I took my open water course, the instructor said that it's worth it to buy a drysuit (from them of course) because they last much longer than a wetsuit. From what I've seen in the past 10 years, that's BS. I rarely see someone whose suit has lasted longer than 2 years unless they have the zipper/seals replaced. This service costs much more than a wetsuit up here. We dive drysuits because they're warmer.

How long do the suits last in your area if the seals and zips are replaced when necessary?

newportscuba:
It all depends on how you take care of it.
My 1st drysuit was purchased in 1995 I put over 2000 dives on it my self between 1995 and 2003.
I paid $1200 for the suit and underwear and $300 for the zipper repair.

$1500/2100+ dives = $.71 per dive tops so far.
probably get another 2-3 years of rental service out of it too.

This is what I was hoping. I don't mind paying a lot up front if the suit will last a long time.

Is this experience common or have you been lucky (or extremely careful!)?

You need to add a couple of things into the equation:
1. A dry suit will keep you warmer, especially when doing multiple dives in a day, and that will aid in off-gassing.
2. A tri-lam dry suit does not loose its thermal capabilty with the number of dives you do, a neoprene wetsuit does. So, while you might do 150 dives with a wet suit, each dive makes the wetsuit a less desirable choice for thermal protection.

Jerry

FishDiver:
...Is this experience common or have you been lucky (or extremely careful!)?

More often than not, the drysuit will far outlast the owner's diving hobby. Just look on e-bay for more evidence. :D

When they replace the seals and zip, The suit lasts many more years. I find that the material itself is not much of a concern as small holes are easily patched at home. I agree with the used suit thing. I don't know if you live in a big diving area, but up here it's easy to find a suit that will last you for 100-200 dives for less than $200 (classified ads, thrift stores). I just bought a dry suit for $24 last week at Salvation Army. The most I've paid is $250. If they get wrecked, I don't care.

defintiely not careful with it I am an instructor so my suit gets abused when I am using it. I believe that it is the after care that makes all the difference.

$22.21.For my tri-lam drysuit. I find this savings in quality time between dives as well as the equivalent rental charges of $100.00 per day. Sure it costs more to dive than a wet suit but if your in cold climates then comfort should factor in more than saving a dollar.
I say this now but last winter I replaced the zipper and all seals and cried for a week at the costs involved. $550.00 but the guy done a great job.

newportscuba:
defintiely not careful with it I am an instructor so my suit gets abused when I am using it. I believe that it is the after care that makes all the difference.

Any tricks you can share???

(Ordered mine about 3 and a half weeks ago)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom