drysuit hood questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rickc

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry about all these newbie drysuit questions.

Can I simply use my normal 3mm wetsuit hood when starting out? Can I otherwise take a wetsuit hood with bib, and cut off the bib portion? Do I need to buy a special drysuit hood?

Comments appreciated.

Rick Colman

Originally posted by rickc
Can I simply use my normal 3mm wetsuit hood when starting out? Can I otherwise take a wetsuit hood with bib, and cut off the bib portion? Do I need to buy a special drysuit hood?
Yes (depending whether it's enough for the water temp)/yes (but why?)/no.

The main thing about drysuit hoods is their length: they are not as long as wetsuit hoods, as they are usually made to end just above the neck seal (esp if the neck seal is neoprene). The other difference is, as you have pointed out, the lack of bib.

Still others are actually DRY, but they are specifically manufactured to fit with particular drysuits.

Frankly if you hare already gone to all the time & $ getting a drysuit, you may as well go for a drysuit hood so you know it will fit properly with your suit.

~SubMariner~

Originally posted by rickc
Comments appreciated.
Sharp knife or scissors... your choice....

If you have a latex neck seal be sure to just cut the skirt off and leave the neck portion.

If you have a DUI drysuit with the warm neck option don't cut it at all... just tuck the bib under the warm neck flap.

3 mm ? You must be diving some warm water, eh?

I will echo the sentiments of others. I have a Viking vulcanized rubber drysuit which I really like, and the second one I purchased was without the attached hood.

The Viking separate hood is specific to drysuits and it is a really warm hood. I do need to pop a hole in the top to relieve air. The skirt is designed to cover most of the neck seal although the hood is not designed dry.

didn't even know that there were different hoods until I came to this board! I'm not sure what this bib thing is on the hood so I guess I must have just picked up "dry suite" hoods - seeing as I only wear a hood with a dry suite I guess I got lucky!

The only thing I do is put a couple of holes in the hood to let the air out - especially from the entry.

Jonathan

The warm neck hood is a wonderful option....almost no water ingress after the first wave.

How is it with other styles?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom