Drysuit freedom?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Recognize that there is a tremendous variance in the fabric weight and type for 'trilaminate' drysuits. Those with which I am most familiar are the DUI. I wound up buying the 450. The 350 is, IMO, significantly more 'lightweight' than the 450 and offers less resistance to movement underwater (with very little gas in the suit). IMO

Generally speaking, a cordura nylon outer shell produces a 'stiffer' feel to the fabric than the lighter nylon layer.

Inquire with Mech Diver as to who manufacturers his new drysuit. I've seen three of them now, and they are extremely nice - very lightweight and the kevlar-based trilaminate material stretches 2 ways, making it more comfortable IMO.

Also, remember that the choice of undergarment influences your comfort and range of motion underwater as well. The 'drysuit' is a combination of two layers, inner undergarment and outer shell. Choose both wisely.

Mo2vation,

Fins:
1) (OW) Genesis "Tupperware" (thanks, Walter)
2) Apollo Bio Fin (uh... ok)
3) Atomic Split (like $190 - 'mo money... must be 'mo bettah. Just 'mo money)
4) Turtle ($47.50 - eBay) - done.

Mask
1) (OW) Oceanmaster 3 window, clear skirt. (basically an aquarium strapped to my grill)
2) Tusa, clear skirt 1 window ('mo money - must be 'mo bettah...sucked)
3) SeaVision black skirt ($99 4 years ago - very low profile, bone dry... loved it to death)
4) Cressi Bug Eyes, black skirt ($34.95 - great fit) - done.

BC
1) Seaquest Balance (loved it, thought I needed "more BC")
2) Seaquest Black Diamoind (like $500 or $600 w/ AirSource - 'mo money - must be 'mo bettah...sucked)
3) Halcyon BP/W (about $300 off eBay) - done.

Knife
1) (OW) 6" Stainless Pigsticker (lovely green calf strap jobbie... Yeah, I'm bad.)
2) Titanium Pigsticker (like $125 or some crazyness... I'm 'po, but I'm rust free & sharp forever)
3) Food For Less (3 for $2.99 home made DIR job. 2 spares.) - done.

Dude, been there done that! :biggrin2:

ZenSquirrel:
I'm fishing for opinions on the drysuit material that offers the best freedom of movement.

I completed my drysuit cert on Sunday and in the process found that I hate neoprene drysuits!

We were using 6mm (maybe 7mm) suits with neoprene seals at the wrist and neck. My main annoyance was that the suit was very bulky and and generally a pain to move in. This is despite the fact that I happen to fit into my off-the-shelf rental suit perfectly.

My guess is that a trilaminate suit would offer more freedom of movement. But since I don't know fore sure....any informed opinions out there?

I went back and forth on this issue quite a bit myself just recently and settled in the end for a Bare XCD2 2mm compressed neoprene suit. As for the bulkiness, I didn't find it too bad. The 2 mm compressed neoprene has less of a buoyancy shift than uncompressed 6 or 7 mm neoprene would. Also keep in mind that while trilam is thinner and would afford more mobility, depending on the temperatures, you may need thicker undergarments than in a neoprene suit (there is some insulating factor with the neoprene, which of course diminishes as it is compressed), which would detract from mobility as well. If you could try both before you decide, I would do that.

Back
Top Bottom