Drysuit freedom?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ZenSquirrel

Reaction score
I'm fishing for opinions on the drysuit material that offers the best freedom of movement.

I completed my drysuit cert on Sunday and in the process found that I hate neoprene drysuits!

We were using 6mm (maybe 7mm) suits with neoprene seals at the wrist and neck. My main annoyance was that the suit was very bulky and and generally a pain to move in. This is despite the fact that I happen to fit into my off-the-shelf rental suit perfectly.

My guess is that a trilaminate suit would offer more freedom of movement. But since I don't know fore sure....any informed opinions out there?

You'll see much more freedom of movement in a well-fitting tri-lam. It will also be lighter and dry faster.

Neoprene seals suck IMO. Some folks like the neo neck seal and say it warmer, but I've never heard anyone who likes neo wrist seals.

MD

Trilam doesn't strech - so you're freedom of movement (presuming range of motion, general comfort, etc.) is dependent upon two basic elements:

Fit
Construction

If its too small, no manner of slick construction will help you. Get one that fits.

Some manufacturers build gussets and darts into the design of their suits - panels that will provide a wider wange of motion than the standard "Levis & t-shirt" construction found on many suits.

But Trilam doesn't strech.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Consider your objectives - I mean, are you diving or going all Jack LaLane down there...? How much range do you really need?

My story:

* I dove wet for years. Read: great range of motion, very flexible exposure protection.

* I'm a guppy diver - All rec. I don't need armor for wreck penetrations, caves, man-eating barnicles or anything else.

* I wanna go dry. So I throw on a tri-lam, realize it doesn't stretch (by doing a series of in-shop Rockette type high kicks and Bruce Lee deep knee bends... both worthless underwater) so I opt for a DUI 50/50 - crush neo bottom, polyester top. Stretchy. A fine suit to be sure - more chainmail than plate armor...:D

BUT - now I get about a day and a half to dry, it packs large and is about a zillion pounds to carry around when wet. If I had it to do again, I would have purchased a tri-lam with gussets and darts that provide realistic diving range of motion, yet are lightweight and dry fast.

More to consider than range of motion.

K

Mo2vation once bubbled...
I had it to do again, I would have purchased a tri-lam with gussets and darts that provide realistic diving range of motion, yet are lightweight and dry fast.

K

My latest is a Kevlar suit that actually has a little more stretch than the Cf200. The whole suit weights about the same as my p-valve and has great flexibility. Hope I'll have the best of all worlds, but haven't had it in the water yet.

MD

Its amazing how much individual opinions differ on this subject.

After diving just about evey type of drysuit ever made I can tell you that I love my Neoprene suit because it offers me the best freedom of movement in a suit that fits snugly and reduces in water drag. I think the reason for this is simply that the neoprene itself stretches where Trilaminate or Vulcanized rubber won't. I really don't understand where people come up with the idea that neoprene doesent stretch...

It seems to me to get a "shell" suit that fits well without all the bag and drag you really limit the amount of movement you ultimately get due to the fabric itself not being able to stretch...

I am a perfect size 6 and fall within the stock suit guidelines of every drysuit manufacturer out there so I know that I am not some unusual body type that...

My personal preferance in seals are the "tuck under" type of neoprene seal. They are comforatble and seem to seal better on me, More so than the latex and much more so than the push through neoprene seals that have become so popular.

Whatever you decide I hope you have the feeling of freedom that I feel I have in my Neoprene suit.

Julie

Mo2vation once bubbled...

Consider your objectives - I mean, are you diving or going all Jack LaLane down there...? How much range do you really need?

* I dove wet for years. Read: great range of motion, very flexible exposure protection.

* I'm a guppy diver - All rec. I don't need armor for wreck penetrations, caves, man-eating barnicles or anything else.

K

Good feedback so far. Thanks for the input.

My main problem with the neoprene suit was that it was bulky and heavy. My range of motion was fine (i.e. I could reach my valve, etc, etc.) the weight just drove me nuts. I guess what I really wanted was a lighter suit.

JulieParkhurst once bubbled...

My personal preferance in seals are the "tuck under" type of neoprene seal. They are comforatble and seem to seal better on me, More so than the latex and much more so than the push through neoprene seals that have become so popular.

Whatever you decide I hope you have the feeling of freedom that I feel I have in my Neoprene suit.

Julie

It looks like I'm going to have to find a place that rents trilam suits. I had no problems with the seals (neoprene wrists and tuck under neoprene neck) just the preceived bulk of the suit.

My experience with scuba gear so far:

Q: Do I use split, force, or regular fins?
A: Try them all out and decide for myself.

Q: Jacket or back inflate?
A: Try them out and decided for myself.

Q: Standard octo or integrated inflator?

Q: What is the most comfortable drysuit?
A: I know what I like and don't like about neoprene suits. 1 down, 5 materials to go....

ZenSquirrel:
My experience with scuba gear so far:

Q: Do I use split, force, or regular fins?
A: Try them all out and decide for myself.

Q: Jacket or back inflate?

Q: Standard octo or integrated inflator?

Q: What is the most comfortable drysuit?
A: I know what I like and don't like about neoprene suits. 1 down, 5 materials to go....

I can tell ya what's best - but I'd have to kill ya. I plowed through a fair about of gear over the last 5 years:

Fins:
1) (OW) Genesis "Tupperware" (thanks, Walter)
2) Apollo Bio Fin (uh... ok)
3) Atomic Split (like $190 - 'mo money... must be 'mo bettah. Just 'mo money)
4) Turtle ($47.50 - eBay) - done.

Mask
1) (OW) Oceanmaster 3 window, clear skirt. (basically an aquarium strapped to my grill)
2) Tusa, clear skirt 1 window ('mo money - must be 'mo bettah...sucked)
3) SeaVision black skirt ($99 4 years ago - very low profile, bone dry... loved it to death)
4) Cressi Bug Eyes, black skirt ($34.95 - great fit) - done.

BC
1) Seaquest Balance (loved it, thought I needed "more BC")
2) Seaquest Black Diamoind (like $500 or $600 w/ AirSource - 'mo money - must be 'mo bettah...sucked)
3) Halcyon BP/W (about $300 off eBay) - done.

Knife
1) (OW) 6" Stainless Pigsticker (lovely green calf strap jobbie... Yeah, I'm bad.)
2) Titanium Pigsticker (like $125 or some crazyness... I'm 'po, but I'm rust free & sharp forever)
3) Food For Less (3 for $2.99 home made DIR job. 2 spares.) - done.

With each of these, I started at the middle of the road, poured cash in to upgrade, and ended up with something a lot less expensive that I like a lot more. Enjoy the journey - but resist the urge to spend your way to killer gear. Sometimes, you're just spending. I know I was.

K

You might want to consider a 50/50 hybrid drysuit. Meaning you have ex. 4 mill compressed neoprene bottom & either bi-lam or tri-lam top.

As for the bottom half you have the warmth of the neoprene with less undergarments, & the duriblity & stretch if one happens to come in contact with rough terrain.

As for the top half, its light weight easy to get over your head & one can dress up considerably with freedom of movement. The best thing is that you can have the latex seals over the traditional neoprene.

Sorta best of both worlds.... ILOVE MINE....

Back
Top Bottom