Drysuit exhaust value concern

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverDun

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My wife seems to be having some problems expelling air from her drysuit lately. I can't try her suit as I don't fit it but she feels that it is not letting air out easily. The suit is an older Whites suit and we have not had any maintenance done to it.

Should I spray the valve with silicone? Can you take the valve apart to clean and lubricate the rubber flap??
Should we take it in for maintenance?

Could it just be some extra clothes she is wearing that are restricting the air flow within the suit?

All thoughts are welcome.

I got some very good advice about this from the USIA rep here on Scubaboard. He suggested soaking the valve overnight in distilled water, and then replacing the water with more distilled water with a few drops of liquid Ivory soap in it. I've now done this to three different valves, and it's worked beautifully.

I would suggest giving Whites a call. You can also PM Divejedi (he is the Whites rep on Scuba board) and he may be able to help as well.

If the valve hasn't been serviced, TSandM suggestion is a good place to start. If she is still having issues, the valve may just need to be replaced.

Thanks folks for the suggestions. Both may help.

I'll first start with the soaking. TSandM, does this method apply even if the suit has only been used in fresh water?

Thanks

I don't know if it applies. I suppose there are particulates that can get in the valve even in fresh water. It can't hurt to try it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom