Drysuit Donning Advice - Getting my feet into neoprene socks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SimonMirr

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all,

I opted for neoprene socks and Rock boots for my drysuit but am always the last to finish donning as it takes so long to get my feet into the suit's neoprene socks, especially in winter with thicker undersocks. Its not just the time though, its the effort which always leaves me sweating as I work to pull them over my feet an inch at a time! Any tips / tricks?

Thinking of carrying a spray bottle of water to wet them - as they do loosen up after the first dive (but clearly by then they are soaking and that may not always be practical when donning for the first dive).

Also considering plastic bags on my feet like with the wetsuit trick - but imagine that would be uncomfortable to leave them on.

Also already have the largest size I can get away with - its just the inside of the neoprene is so darn sticky!

Thanks
Simon

What are you wearing for socks? Can make a difference. I have Fourth Element Hot Foot socks now and the outer layer is a bit slick. I’ve found that makes a difference getting into my suit’s attached neoprene boots. Better than the FE Arctic socks I’ve had for years.

Just thought of something. Back when I used to do a lot of horse stuff more than 25 years ago, there was a silicone spray we would use on the inside of our high black boots to get them on. I’ve used the now-unavailable Seal Saver to make my fins easier to get on. I don’t think silicone spray on the inside of your suit socks would be a good idea, though.

Something slippery over the socks on your feet, maybe look at thinner wool socks too.

I wonder if women’s knee high stockings would work. The top band can be kind of binding though, so you might have to cut it off. Or get the queen size version. :wink:

Lycra socks. It's a really thin barrier and neoprene will slide right over it. :)

not to be pessimistic but is it simply possible the neoprene socks you have on the drysuit are simply too small and you need to move to a larger size? I hate to say that because that is a few hundred dollars to get them replaced but it may be just that simple. I hope I am wrong.

lycra/spandex socks (stretchy) or tyvek/gore tex socks (these do not stretch) over your insulation layer will aid in sliding your foot in.

You can always ask the wife for her pantyhose..... BTW - when caught with it, it had better be hers... Oh, and the guys will never look at you the same again....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom