Drysuit Demo Days

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Minion_Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am looking into purchasing a drysuit this next year and I am wanting to test out different ones to see which one fits the best. I know DUI use to do demo days but they have since quit. Is there a website that has demo days listed on it or is this something that I would have to contact each drysuit manufacture to figure out.

Thanks.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of them. You might have better luck contacting a shop that has a lot of rental suits. DRIS in the Chicago area is one of them.

TDI began to do Mission Tech Days last year. There was one in northern IL at Haigh Quarry, one at Dutch Springs in NE PA, and one in Cayman. Can't remember if DUI was there, but a few other drysuit manufacturers were.

DUI has a few demo centers. I know Mermet Springs in southern IL is one of them.

Extreme Exposure in Florida tries to maintain a full range of standard santi drysuits in their rental fleet. There is no pool right there, but 3-40 minutes there are decent sites to try it out in the water.

I'm sure there are others dealers with similar arrangements. If you possibly can dive the type and size suit you are going to buy I'd strongly encourage you to do it, even if it's a bit expensive and requires a long road trip. Buying a multi-thousand dollar suit, waiting 2 months and then getting one that doesn't fit is really a pain.

Try one on and get in the water! That is good advice. I bought custom suit from the UK with measurements my friend and I calculated and emailed to the manufacturer. Otter Britannic MK2. After that frustration I would advise to try suits off the rack and get wet with it pick one that fits comfortably and has flexibility in the crotch through to the ankle. Spreading your legs like a wishbone comfortably without restriction underwater makes a huge comfort difference. I like my Otter but for what I paid and the restriction in the wishbone I could have been as uncomfortable for less money.

Extreme Exposure in Florida tries to maintain a full range of standard santi drysuits in their rental fleet. There is no pool right there, but 3-40 minutes there are decent sites to try it out in the water.

I'm sure there are others dealers with similar arrangements. If you possibly can dive the type and size suit you are going to buy I'd strongly encourage you to do it, even if it's a bit expensive and requires a long road trip. Buying a multi-thousand dollar suit, waiting 2 months and then getting one that doesn't fit is really a pain.

I totally agree with this. I did not do this when I bought my first dry suit. I'm now buying a new one and I'm working with the guys at EE; was there recently and got measured, tried on suits with undergarments. Totally worth it to dial in the measurements and get a suit that fits properly. Make a long weekend of it and fly to Jacksonville, drive 90 minutes to High Springs, get measured, rent a suit/tanks and hop in Ginnie or Blue Grotto and try it out; you'll have a great time and leave feeling great about your next suit. Or you can do the same thing with DRIS near Chicago but I like the diving around High Springs better.

Hey OP, I'll give you a good deal on a gently used Waterproof D1. It's really warm and in great condition!

I finally bought a drysuit last year. Like the suggestion to go to a shop with rental gear, that is what I did. I tried a few shops but they never really made me feel like I trusted them enough to hand over $2000+ for a suit. One shop said they'd rent me a drysuit but didn't really make me feel like they'd take care of me. It felt more like they'd rent me a suit so I could take a course in the pool with them.

Last year I found a shop with rental gear and told the owner the truth... I didn't want to pay $2000+ for a drysuit only to find out I didn't like it. So they let me try on a drysuit right there in the shop. They pulled out a drysuit and undergarments from rental and helped me try it on. I was a little worried about not knowing how to adjust the neck and wrists, how to burp the suit, taking care of the seals/zip, etc.. The owner was patient and walked me through everything.

I didn't know how things should feel and what was right but the owner told me what was good and what wasn't. We tried on a few things to see what fit best. A few weeks later I bought a drysuit, dry gloves, hood, undergarments, etc. I have quite a few dives on the thing and it is great. Absolutely no regrets.

Try a few shops and hopefully you'll find one like I did.

I will say one thing however, I found very few shops which sold drysuits when I lived in Texas. I found one which rented drysuits. When I moved back to Canada (Great Lakes area) I found a lot more places which sold and rented drysuits. I noticed a few posts here talk about northern shops which rent drysuits. Maybe it is time for a trip to Chicago? Or you might find luck in Florida.

One tip, back zip drysuits are easier to get in and out of. Front zip suits are either a little harder to get out of (but fit great) or they are a little too loose.

DUI does not due demo events since their truck broke down, but as long as you are a drysuit certified diver you can rent a DUI drysuit directly from Dutch Springs.

DUI does not due demo events since their truck broke down, but as long as you are a drysuit certified diver you can rent a DUI drysuit directly from Dutch Springs.

Given the OP is in Arkansas, the DUI demo center at Mermet Springs in southern IL is much closer to him.

DUI was at Mission Tech last year and I think they will be this year, but Mermet is closer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom