Drysuit cold feet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive1Dennis:
I read a lot of strings about cold feet and have some thoughts / questions. I dive plain old poly-pro hunting socks, I've been down to 38F and have never had cold feet problems. I have attached, regular boots on my drysuit.

I find myself wondering if the rock boots, in general might be a part of the problem. Because you lace them up they probably compress the socks, booties, or whatever you are wearing. When you do this the insulating value of the sock is reduced, at least somewhat. Is it possible to wear larger rock boots, or wear them without lacing them up as tightly? Just a thought, I have no experience with the rock boots.

Circulation is definitely a contributor. I dont wear rock boots. Lacing them to tight or the wrong fit will cause a loss of blood flow and compress any loft factor. Personally never thought the rock boots were worth it IF your on a boat. Shore diving is a different story.

I only wear a neoprene sock and rook boot. It is ok even at 38 degree water.
I also had a thinsulate sock, but I never had a chance to use because it is so bulky and a neoprene sock has worked very well.

You don't need to lace them to tight though. I usually do. You know, even some divers are using gaitor to prevent air trap. As long as you have a proper thickness, you don't need any air circulation.

My 2 psi.

I will probably forgo the Roc boots when I order my suit in a couple of months. I think they were restrictive and contributed to my problem. Maybe I tie them too tight, but it is a little late to be thinking of that when you are underwater! I know some people love them, but I haven't seen much benifit from them for my style of diving.

hoosier:
I only wear a neoprene sock and rook boot. It is ok even at 38 degree water.
I also had a thinsulate sock, but I never had a chance to use because it is so bulky and a neoprene sock has worked very well.

You don't need to lace them to tight though. I usually do. You know, even some divers are using gaitor to prevent air trap. As long as you have a proper thickness, you don't need any air circulation.

My 2 psi.

Im not talkin about AIR Circulation Im refering to blood flow to the feet!!!

Im thinkin you aint getten enough air in them feet. Not only do you need loft insulation in a trilam suit, you need room for air to loft it! If it fits too tightly, you will get cold. Try renting a bigger suit, and upgrading to better undergarments, and better socks. Polartec works great.

Dean,

I have similar challenges with my feet as well...I just tried some neoprene socks with felt liners made by Glacier Gloves...used them Monday on a cold dive in Northern Idaho...they were a distinct inprovment. Good Luck

Lot's of great ideas here as always on this board! My feet tend to get cold easily to begin with, and the cold water diving just has it's own challenges. I think I just need to be sure I have enough insulation that is not overly constricted. Those heat pads might be good insurance too!

Doc Intrepid:
Had you been on the boat the day one came up my left leg, out of the attached boot of my Viking drysuit, and got stuck beneath my pee-valve, I'd have been glad to show you the marks it left on my left thigh.

Any photos??? :10:

You know that if you deliberately tried to accomplish this manoever, you could never do it in a million years?! How do these things happen?!

mnj1233:
Anyway do you have anything to add about filling with Nitrox??? I havent had the experience of it becoming MORE HOT you?
I used to stick one on my chest (outside my undergarment) right in front of the drysuit inflater valve, so that every time I gave my suit a squirt, I'd blow nice hot air into my suit. Up to 36%, I never notice a difference from air.

YMMV.

I have a tendency to get cold easily. I found that moving to drygloves made a big difference on keeping my feet warm (no kidding :). When my hands were warm my feet were much warmer. Also lacing my boots up a lot less tightly helped as well. I usually wear a pair of wool socks on the inside, thick cotton socks over them. I also went to Argon, but I haven't convinced myself that it has really helped overall.

Jerry

Back
Top Bottom