Drysuit cold feet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Briefly make your feet the highest point to make sure you've got some air in your feet to help keep them warm. I find that helps, both my hands and my feet. I wear two pairs of wool ski socks, but they're pretty thick. Make sure the suit you eventually buy has big feet, then you can add thermal insulated insoles, available at drugstores, etc.

I also agree with the post regarding making sure the rest of you is really warm. I bought a warmer hood, and that has helped. Gingko biloba is a herbal supplement that increases circulation and is particularly good for cold hands and feet. You'd have to take it every day for a few weeks to notice anything. It also improves memory dramatically, as well as other positive effects. Very cheap at Costco.

Making sure you've had some good servings of protein and fat to eat before diving helps to keep warm, too.

gcbryan:
You would also be amazed at how much difference it makes to to add another layer even if it's just thin polypro under fleece. Two layers of trapped air instead of one.

I usually wear 3-4 layers of socks and never had cold feet yet :)
1 thin wicking layer, (optional) 1 thin layer, 1 thicker layer of normal sock and either thinsulate or fleece "bootie" style socks on top.

I wear a pair of wool socks from WalMart and Weezle booties. Definitely take a look at the Weezle booties, as they're about the warmest option I'm aware of for real cold water.

Stay away from the heatpacks, unless there is no other option. Its one more thing to screw with on the boat, and the day may come when they start shifting around inside and wind up being more of a PITA than a benefit.

You should be able to find some layers that will do the trick for you.

Doc Intrepid:
I wear a pair of wool socks from WalMart and Weezle booties. Definitely take a look at the Weezle booties, as they're about the warmest option I'm aware of for real cold water.

Stay away from the heatpacks, unless there is no other option. Its one more thing to screw with on the boat, and the day may come when they start shifting around inside and wind up being more of a PITA than a benefit.

You should be able to find some layers that will do the trick for you.

The packs adhere to your sock, they dont slip, are not a PITA and work well. I dont always use them but are nice and warm when you want them.

Had you been on the boat the day one came up my left leg, out of the attached boot of my Viking drysuit, and got stuck beneath my pee-valve, I'd have been glad to show you the marks it left on my left thigh. It was rather annoying...

I'm glad you never had that experience, and hope you never do. But that doesn't mean that heat pads are universally comfortable, nor never a PITA! :wink:

I had 17 minutes of required deco to do.

That's why I don't recommend them.

Doc Intrepid:
Had you been on the boat the day one came up my left leg, out of the attached boot of my Viking drysuit, and got stuck beneath my pee-valve, I'd have been glad to show you the marks it left on my left thigh. It was rather annoying...

I'm glad you never had that experience, and hope you never do. But that doesn't mean that heat pads are universally comfortable, nor never a PITA! :wink:

I had 17 minutes of required deco to do.

That's why I don't recommend them.

Ouch sounds like you could use a battery pack undergarment with that deco time.
My comments mostly refering to Rec diving tho. I find if you adhere it to the bottom of your sock its not gonna move! Cant float past your heel. Anyway do you have anything to add about filling with Nitrox??? I havent had the experience of it becoming MORE HOT you?

I read a lot of strings about cold feet and have some thoughts / questions. I dive plain old poly-pro hunting socks, I've been down to 38F and have never had cold feet problems. I have attached, regular boots on my drysuit.

I find myself wondering if the rock boots, in general might be a part of the problem. Because you lace them up they probably compress the socks, booties, or whatever you are wearing. When you do this the insulating value of the sock is reduced, at least somewhat. Is it possible to wear larger rock boots, or wear them without lacing them up as tightly? Just a thought, I have no experience with the rock boots.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom