Drysuit cold feet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use the fourth element socks under thinsulate boots. Works quite well for me in UK conditions.

HTH

Maybe your soxes are too tight or they are stuffed back when you put the suit and the rockboots.

"Walking on the ground stimulates blood flow because your blood has weight in air. When one goes underwater, swimming does not stimulate blood flow because your feet do not impact on the ground. Your blood has no weight because “water in water is water.” Therefore it’s very important that whatever you wear on your feet not be too tight. You should wear something that fits like bedroom slippers not running shoes" taken from the DUI website

Also, after putting on your boots, kick back your heel on the ground so it loosens the soxes. It might help. I have the DUI drysuit and rockboots and I sometimes do 1h+ dives in water sometimes close to 32 F (Ice dives) or under (saltwater dives when water doesn't freeze at 32F) and I never felt as cold as you describe. I cant say it's always warm as tropical dives but never that cold.

wardric:
Maybe your soxes are too tight or they are stuffed back when you put the suit and the rockboots.

"Walking on the ground stimulates blood flow because your blood has weight in air. When one goes underwater, swimming does not stimulate blood flow because your feet do not impact on the ground. Your blood has no weight because “water in water is water.” Therefore it’s very important that whatever you wear on your feet not be too tight. You should wear something that fits like bedroom slippers not running shoes" taken from the DUI website

Also, after putting on your boots, kick back your heel on the ground so it loosens the soxes. It might help. I have the DUI drysuit and rockboots and I sometimes do 1h+ dives in water sometimes close to 32 F (Ice dives) or under (saltwater dives when water doesn't freeze at 32F) and I never felt as cold as you describe. I cant say it's always warm as tropical dives but never that cold.

It could very well be a circulation problem. The feet of the suit are snug. This is something I will need to keep in mind when I spring to buy my own suit. I hate rental gear, but they do educate you!

Good point, Dean.

Wearing socks that are too thick can also generate the same problem.
The socks, being too tight, restrict the circulation in the feet thereby preventing the influx of warmer blood in the capillaries resulting in cold feet.

the K

You need a better hood (thicker and/or better fit), and maybe thicker underwear.

The feet are the last stop on the "warm blood" train, and will only warm up after your body has plenty of heat to keep your brain, your neck and your core warm.

Once the rest of you is toasty, your feet will follow.

Terry

Dean810:
With water temperature in the low 40's F, I can keep my entire body reasonably warm in a DUI trilam except for my feet. The feet of the suit is neoprene and I am wearing Roc Boots and long DUI Thinsulate socks. My feet get so cold that I feel I am taking my toe nail off when I remove the boots!

Is there something I can wear on my feet that is warmer, without adding too much more bulk? Currently the suit I am using is a rental, off the shelf medium, but it fits like a glove, including the neoprene feet. When I buy a suit, I plan on going with the Turbo soles rather than the Roc Boots.

A second vote for the little iron filing heater packs -- ski shops sell them.

I also found that my ankle weights (when I was using them) were stopping air and probably also some circulation to my feet, and my feet did much better once I took them off.

You would also be amazed at how much difference it makes to to add another layer even if it's just thin polypro under fleece. Two layers of trapped air instead of one.

As for my feet, the suits neoprene feet are not snug and allow me to put two layers of soxes. The first pair is from the dollar store and made of a synthetic material which i forgot the name. The second pair is traditionnal gray wool soxes. (btw, is it the correct way to write it: soxes or sox or socks???)

I always make sure that they are loosely put so they are not compressed and too tight and it does the job. although last week, I had a leek in my suits feet, hello 40F water. Fortunately, it was a small leak and thanks Aquaseal, it was leakless yesterday.

DO NOT use these heating packs if using Nitrox to fill your drysuit. Air (and as far as I know Argon) is fine. As you can imagine, with an 02 enriched environment these puppies can burn hot enough to cause injury.

I use the heating packs in my dry gloves and boots. They make a significant difference. I would suggest using the hand packs for both gloves and boots because they provide more heat. The foot packs are more convenient because they have an adhesive to stick to the bottom of your socks as someone else mentioned.

--Matt

matt_unique:
DO NOT use these heating packs if using Nitrox to fill your drysuit. Air (and as far as I know Argon) is fine. As you can imagine, with an 02 enriched environment these puppies can burn hot enough to cause injury.

I use the heating packs in my dry gloves and boots. They make a significant difference. I would suggest using the hand packs for both gloves and boots because they provide more heat. The foot packs are more convenient because they have an adhesive to stick to the bottom of your socks as someone else mentioned.

--Matt

A good point that I wouldn't have thought of. Have people learned this the hard way?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom