drysuit catheter hose downward routing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lorenzoid

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I have read every thread on SB (and articles/threads elsewhere linked to in those threads) about p-valves and plumbing. I have not dived my drysuit yet and am getting things like this squared away in preparation for an upcoming drysuit class. I'm not sure if any of this is relevant, but I have quick-disconnect fittings I plan to install as described in various threads, the p-valve is on the left leg, and the end of the hose from the p-valve reaches my bellybutton as I have not (yet) shortened it. Here are my questions:

1) When I wear the undersuit (Santi BZ200), its hole for the catheter hose is to the left of center, just above my little guy. I have read of people routing the hose upwards, but my guy decidedly wants to point down, so I am determined to route the hose downward. Given that, it doesn't seem possible to route the hose through the hole in the undersuit. Do I need to make a new hole lower in the undersuit to accommodate a downward routing?

2) It's my understanding that it's recommended to wear a wicking base layer underneath the undersuit--UnderArmor, Smartwool, Capilene, etc. Do I need to make a hole in the base layer as well? It seems to me there is no way to route downward in a pair of long underwear without making a hole. (If I were to route upward, the hose could just come out of the waistband.)

Any downward routers out there care to comment?

You might find that between slack in the condom and whatever linkage you're using, there may not be enough room to route downward. If you route it up, the tubing probably needs to loop above your navel and come back down to at, or above, your navel where your linkage will probably reach. Your mileage may vary, of course...:wink:

Last edited:
If you route it up, the tubing probably needs to loop above your navel and come back down to at, or above, your navel where your linkage will probably reach.
That's how I do it. I have not found an other comfortable routing yet with the Santi undersuit.

I

1) When I wear the undersuit (Santi BZ200), its hole for the catheter hose is to the left of center, just above my little guy. I have read of people routing the hose upwards, but my guy decidedly wants to point down, so I am determined to route the hose downward. Given that, it doesn't seem possible to route the hose through the hole in the undersuit. Do I need to make a new hole lower in the undersuit to accommodate a downward routing?
Any downward routers out there care to comment?

Your little guy doesn't care which way he points, especially when you're horizontal. My old drysuit came with a non-closeable valve that was closer to my knee so I routed the hose down. What a pain in the ass; I had to poke holes in the under-garments and had an exposed pee-tube sticking out that I either had to connect/dissconnect @ the PV, or disconnect @ the condom and pull back through the hole and then do the reverse for the second dive. Next suit, I just went up over and down which required no hole in the undersuit so I could discretely connect and disconnect by just reaching into the undersuit right in front of anyone around, then slip out of the drysuit with the non-visible pee-tube still attached inside the suit. It's waaay easier.

Last edited:
If you route it up, the tubing probably needs to loop above your navel and come back down to at, or above, your navel where your linkage will probably reach.
That's how I do it in a Fusion. Even with a jumpsuit and base layer the hose easily routes down through the zipper.

It seems "up" is the only answer. I knew there would be a number of things that would take getting used to with a drysuit, but peeing upwards in the direction of my navel was not one of them.

It seems "up" is the only answer. I knew there would be a number of things that would take getting used to with a drysuit, but peeing upwards in the direction of my navel was not one of them.

Think of it as peeing horizontaly; whichever way you go, it's neither up nor down, so there you are.

Last edited:
Think of it as peeing horizontaly; whichever way you go, it's neither up nor down, so there you are.

Yet another reason to dive in horizontal trim! :wink:

I knew there would be a number of things that would take getting used to with a drysuit, but peeing upwards in the direction of my navel was not one of them.
The biggest hurdle for me was the thought of peeing in my suit or in other words: trust the pee valve not to leak. Still feels unnatural.

AJ:
The biggest hurdle for me was the thought of peeing in my suit or in other words: trust the pee valve not to leak. Still feels unnatural.
Practice in your wetsuit first.:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom