drysuit boots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jason B

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So I'm getting ready to get a drysuit and it comes standard with rock boots. When I was in my drysuit class I used rock boots and my current fins do not fit them so well. I do not want to have to get new fins as I like the ones I have. I do have the option of having turbo soles put on (which are attached), which will allow me to use my current fins but I'll have to pay a little more to have them added on. I've also heard of people just using wetsuit booties with their drysuit and was wondering what everyone here used or recommended.

Jason

I hate my Rock Boots in the winter. They're super cold.. as soon as I take them off, my feet warm up again. They're not tight.

Also, they're just one more thing to pack up and put on.

My next suit will *not* have rock boots.

Personally, I LOVE my rock boots. Yes, it was a real heartbreaker when I discovered my favorite fins can't be used with the boots, but once I got used to a new set of fins, it's all good.

I love having the boots much better than the integrated booties. I never forget them and it is nice to have.

One thing I have noticed is that it is a matter of personal opinion. Some love them, others don't. But I do like them in the winter and especially on rocks. Go figure !

Combat Smurf

O.k. since Jon gave you the con version - I'll give my pro version. I hate floaty feet. Thus I like the rockboots. As to warmth - well for me the water temps stay around 48 F. so I wear an extra bit of insulation. My feet don't get cold. If I lived where Jon lives though - I'm betting my feet would be chilly to say the least.

I agree with the fact that they are a pain to get in and out of, but since I have regular boots on my backup suit (which I hate), I'll deal with that in order not to have floaty feet.

Rock boots are definitely the way to go if any of your diving involves difficult shore entry--rocks, bluffs, hills, etc. And they're simple to replace when you wear them out, unlike attached shoelets. Needing a larger set of fins is just part of the deal; if you only want to own one pair of fins, put your rock boots on over your wet suit booties when you dive wet and the larger fins will fit you all the time!

I do know people who put wetsuit booties on over their drysuit "socks" instead of rock boots, but this still doesn't help with the shore entry issue above.

Good luck with your decision,
theskull

I think my next suit will have rockboots on them. By far some of the most potentially lethal and maiming situations I've been in have been slipped on rocks doing shore entries...

I know its not DIR, but wussies like GI3 have frikken ladders to climb down...

Hmm... that may actually influence my next selection of drysuit as well. I think I may go with a CF200 w/rockboots for coldwater shore / wreck diving and aim on drysuit #3 being a TLS350 that is all cave-compliant depending on how far I head down that route...

lamont:
. . . I think I may go with a CF200 w/rockboots for coldwater shore / wreck diving and aim on drysuit #3 being a TLS350 that is all cave-compliant depending on how far I head down that route...

For the great majority of the cave diving world, there is nothing un-cave-compliant about the CF200 w/ rockboots!!! I know a number of cavers who dive this setup.

theskull

Ok, here's my .02 worth. The attached boots result in clumsy footing when walking and climbing, they also result in floaty feet. They are the cause of my broken finger which has kept me out of the water since the beginning of Feb. I am having them removed from my DS and replaced with socks.

Go with the rock boots or a pair of Converse All Stars.

Quarrior:
. . . Go with the rock boots or a pair of Converse All Stars.

Only a real doofus would dive Converse All Stars. Right? :wink:

theskull

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom