Drysuit basics - Help needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would go dui days thay traver all over the usa and you can try suite out in the water. just my 2cent

First -- think about the diving you do now and in the future....location(s), water temps, boat/shore, wreck/cave, etc., technical/recreational, etc.

Next -- read some of the sources listed above to learn about general features offered on most drysuits -- zipper style (self-donning?), attached boots v. separate, suit material, undergarments, p-valves, exhaust valves, etc. You'll begin to get an idea of what features you want based on your assessment in step 1.

Start talking to local shops about what brands/models they offer and the features of each. See how these match up vs. the features you want. Start to get an idea of cost. Definitely shop around. I found that MSRP prices are often VASTLY different than the actual price you'll pay if you shop around. Don't rule out a given model based on MSRP until you shop around. Take what shops tell you with a grain of salt -- some are genuine; some will steer you to what they have in stock since they want to reduce inventory.

Also talk to local drysuit divers who do the diving you'll be doing -- what did they buy and why? Do they like the suits they have? Why/why not? If buying again, what would they buy and why?

Good luck!

-Chris

nunomix,
I think Large Diver has given a pretty good approach to how you should approach this purchase with some comfort that it is the right suit. The only thing I would add is to consider making actual lists. One for available features and one for the types of diving you expect. Sometimes putting it all on paper makes it easier to think through. It should definately help the dry divers you ask for input.

Thanks a lot once more guys.

I am going to travel south Netherlands tomorrow to try the DUI TLS350 and see how it fits. The part that sucks about this suit is that everything is an extra which makes it extremely expensive. Will let you know.

Cheers

nunomix:
Hi fellow Divers,

I want to buy a dry suit but I am afraid I know nothing about it.

Anyone who could give me some guidance about what to buy and what kind of issues should I be aware.

For example, which brand/model would be better (I hear some are better dealing with pressure differences and buoyancy for example)? Is SCUBAPRO Spitzbergen a good suit? Other suggestions?

When I buy the suit, what should I bear in mind with regard to sizes?

Any other important things to check?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Nuno
In order to use a Dry suit you need to be certified, now if you want to buy a good entry suit for a good price check this website www.leisurepro.com the have a Bare Dry suit package for under $800.00 is very good deal, but first make sure you talk with your intructor and take the class.

Cheers

Rafael:
In order to use a Dry suit you need to be certified, now if you want to buy a good entry suit for a good price check this website www.leisurepro.com the have a Bare Dry suit package for under $800.00 is very good deal, but first make sure you talk with your intructor and take the class.

Cheers

You do not HAVE to get a drysuit cert (although I personally think it is a good idea). You can do a search of the forums for one of the many debates on the class and certification.

nunomix:
Thanks a lot once more guys.

I am going to travel south Netherlands tomorrow to try the DUI TLS350 and see how it fits. The part that sucks about this suit is that everything is an extra which makes it extremely expensive. Will let you know.

Cheers

Hey nunomix,

How did you like the DUI suit? Where did you go to try it?

R..

Hi Guys,

Just went to check the DUI TLS suit.

I went to a place in the south of the Netherlands called Aegir where I was extremely pleased with the willingness to help me and explain me everything about the suits. Extremely professional.

Those guys are representatives of many Brands, including Bare. I tried the DUI TLS350 in two sizes and the stock size L seems to fit me quite nicely. It is not tight (I tried it with a 400mm undersuit) but it is also not large. I tried all the movements that I read in the manual of DUI to check whether I had full movement inside the suit (although the owner of the store told me himself all those tests that I should do).

I am tempted to go for the Explorer version (the one that has many protection pads over the suit and additionally two pockets). I must say it looked really really good.

Will think a little bit more, but probably I will go for this one.

Now I have one more question for someone who can answer me. The more I read about dry suits, more issues arise. I have been reading by de-hydrating under these kind of suits (normally this comes together with the p-valves explanations). Can you give me some more details about de-hydration with dry-suits? what does it mean? risks of dehydration?

Cheers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom