Drysuit, Bahamas in Feb?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What are current temps around Freeport? I'm going on Friday and it hadn't occured to me to bring the dry suit instead of a 3m? Should I re-pack?

I'm booked to dive with UNEXSO at Lucaya Marina from Dec. 28 through Jan. 2. If I decide to do 4 or so dives a day, it might make sense to bring the drysuit. I'm glad I read this thread.

Tavi once bubbled...

who are you diving with??

I don't know yet...I'll be in Nassau. I want to do the Tongue of the Ocean and perhaps a shark dive. It's looking like I'll only do 4-6 dives while I'm there (It's really a vacation with my girlfriend, who doesn't dove). I think I'll probably bring the drysuit, since I don't feel like spending $150 on a wetsuit I'm only going to use a couple times and there is no reason for me to rent.

Just got back from Maui, 76-77degrees all depths. I was going to take my drysuit but a 3mil one piece did the tricks no problemo. I did 3-4 dives a day, do like Bob3 said and get a hooded vest for extra warmth. I rented the suit for $20 for the week, and no one pointed and laughed...=-)

I've been diving UNEXSO in Lucaya since Saturday. We were blown out today but the temp. on the bottum is 77 degrees.

On the drysuit front, if you think you may need one you might ask whether the boat has a working head. None of UNEXSO's do, so you have to do what thier DM's due--go for a 'swim' between dives.

And boy this place has a strange mix of skilled divers and dangerous SPORES, but also plenty of sharks.

Safe bubbles!

My beautiful girlfriend bought me a Bare Hooded Extreme 7mm wetsuit for Christmas. This will accompany me down to the Bahamas, so am no longer considering the drysuit. I read a few sources that said 3-5mm suit...to me, that means 7mm.

Unfortunately, I have no clue as to how much weight I will need....I usually dive dry with steel tanks. This will be a thick wetsuit with aluminum (or aluminium for you UKers) tanks. I suppose there are worse predicaments to be in.

7 mm would be a touch warm now, although that's what the DMs who do this every day are wearing. I did 3mm with a 5 mm hood and was cosy and warm. The passport divers that laughed at those of us with exposure suits ("arctic divers" with 3 mm suits?) shivered between dives.

In Feb. 7 mm might be a good idea.

I suggest you let the DM know you're working on a weighting problem and get this sorted out near the boat, before the dive.

Happy bubbles!

Well, since the hooded 7mm wetsuit I got for christmas finally came in, I'm going to bring that.

I'll be nice and toasty warm, and have to wear more weight than many of the other divers, but I'm ok with that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom