Drying gloves and boots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alewar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi there!

What's the best way to let the neoprene stuff dry that you can't easily turn inside out, like gloves, boots, etc?

Fastest way is using blown air. Many commercial units available, esp. for skiers and snowmobilers. You can make one yourself with some sheet metal, some pvc piping, and a computer cooling fan.

You can search here on SB for threads on blowers for drying gloves and boots.

I pack mine full of newspaper and change it a few times. I will also place them over the air vents in my house to get them dry. If they start to smell I put some baking soda in them and shake them around.

The Peet Dryer and similar products work with a warm convection current. I have a knock off brand and it will dry my booties or gloves in about 3 hours. When I was doing DM internships some weekends I was in the pool Friday for a couple of hours at nite, Saturday about 6 or 7 hours and Sunday for 4+ hours. When I got home rinsed my gear hung it up with a fan blowing on it and put my booties on the dryer with a timer set for 3 or 4 hours and every thing was dry on the in the morning. They work great for gloves even without the glove attachment, just slide them over the top and they get dry in 2 or 3 hours.

If I am home I put them through the washer with a tiny bit of detergent (for odor) then once they go through the spin cycle I dry them on a rack, usually take 24 hours.

I made a rack with small diameter pvc pipe. It hangs from a clothes line. You can make the horizontal arms in a spiral patten so there is more clearance , Also use end caps on end of vertical section to protect hood. I store by booties, gloves and hood on the rack.. Easy to grab when packing.. rack.jpg

Back
Top Bottom