Drying booties?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been putting my regulator in front of the fan to dry up any moisture (with the dust cover off the primary).

Is this overkill? I am just concerned that the moisture will cause problems with any rubber internal parts. I know it might be crazy since they spend a great deal of time being wet.

I have a Peet Boot Dryer/that is several years old and is used several times each week. It will dry your booties out over night - no more damp or stinky boots. I like this thing enoug that I have given several as presents to my friends. I picked mine up for less than $30 at a local sporting goods store - it was money well spent.

Jackie

I use one similar to the Peet (see above) that i got from Sportsmansguide.com in Minneapolis.

Works great, no motor- works by convection. I do have to be sure that when I put the boots on the uprights that there is an opening at the back so the moist air can vent. the boots are a little more form fitting than hiking boots.

Insta-dry boots and gloves... (This is the very reason I bought them -- and they work).

No newspaper... no hairdryers... no rolling/unrolling...

P.S. I have the Akonas, as well... They're the very reason I bought the Insta-dry...

Personally, I just set them in the garage(heated) and let em be for a day or two, though I imagine the newspaper would work well to speed up the process.
Joe

Looks like you could use the Peet Dryer on a wet suit.

I have been putting my regulator in front of the fan to dry up any moisture (with the dust cover off the primary).

Is this overkill? I am just concerned that the moisture will cause problems with any rubber internal parts. I know it might be crazy since they spend a great deal of time being wet.

I've never thought of drying my regulators like that after a good 1 to 2 day soak in a bath tub of fresh water...just hang them up for a day or 2 after the freahwater soak & have never had problems(since '85 I've done that--have used the same 2 sets of Oceanic and SP's since '89 when I switched from 3 sets of Dacor's I originally bought in '85).....

i have the same set of booties and i just use a fan or sit them on top of a dehumidifier. they dry pretty quick that way.

First thing is to kill the stink. Use Oxy Clean and, if still bad, a pet odor nuetralizer (Natures Miracle).

Next, make a drying apparatus. I was able to put one together with things that I had lying around, but are otherwise are available from hardware stores and Radio Shack:
*Computer fan (from old computer or Radio Shack)
*A transformer for the fan (from old whatever or Radio Shack).
*Any material you can make a small box with.
*Piece of foam neoprene.
*PVC pipe and fittings.

Make a rectangular box with the fan fit into one end (to blow air into the box).
Put the foam neoprene, with a hole cut in it, on other side of the box.
Assemble a tree with the PVC and fittings (no glue). The tree will have a horizontal nipple that goes though the hole in the neoprene, and vertical branches on which to place gloves and booties. Gloves/booties dry in an afternoon or overnight. I'm trying to post an image, not too good at it, hope it works.
Bootandglovedryer.jpg

Hey! That's pretty slick! Do you plug the extra ports when not using them?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom