Dry - Wet - Semi-Dry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SCUBA_Morg

Registered
Reaction score
Hi

I have this Bare wetsuit that is very very strange. It is a semi dry suit in that when I jump in the water my legs do not fill up with water. However my top is a very weird piece in itself. It has a little pouch on my chest that I can put things with a zipper on it. Apparently when I bought the suit it was quite expensive but I am not sure what kind it is.

It is definitely a diving wetsuit but not sure if its a semi dry or just normal.

The chest had 2 layers if you will on the part where it joins at your waist. It has a nice layer that grabs your waist then another layer that over hangs loosely.

The legs are pretty normal looking at the bottom they have a strap that make a very good seal. The top just has a very elasticized waist that works somewhat well. After a while in the suit water does get inside. The legs aren't skin tight either they kind of hang off loosely.

This suit seems like a strictly dive suit because of all the loose material. It is such a pain to try and swim with it, because you have to drag all that excess water and material around.

I have tried to google a image of it but I cannot find anything on it. It is made by Bare and it was apparently like $200-$300 when I bought it. (It wasn't that price when I had bought it).

SCUBA_Morg:
Hi

I have this Bare wetsuit that is very very strange. It is a semi dry suit in that when I jump in the water my legs do not fill up with water. However my top is a very weird piece in itself. It has a little pouch on my chest that I can put things with a zipper on it. Apparently when I bought the suit it was quite expensive but I am not sure what kind it is.

It is definitely a diving wetsuit but not sure if its a semi dry or just normal.

The chest had 2 layers if you will on the part where it joins at your waist. It has a nice layer that grabs your waist then another layer that over hangs loosely.

The legs are pretty normal looking at the bottom they have a strap that make a very good seal. The top just has a very elasticized waist that works somewhat well. After a while in the suit water does get inside. The legs aren't skin tight either they kind of hang off loosely.

This suit seems like a strictly dive suit because of all the loose material. It is such a pain to try and swim with it, because you have to drag all that excess water and material around.

I have tried to google a image of it but I cannot find anything on it. It is made by Bare and it was apparently like $200-$300 when I bought it. (It wasn't that price when I had bought it).

As far as I can see from Bare's website, they only do wetsuits. It might be that you've got a bad fitting one, because even for diving suits, the legs should be fairly tight (To avoid water circulating).

Have a look at the bare website and see if that's any good.

E

The suit is made out of this material...
BARE_61142_small_2005.jpg

It looks like that but it is a 2 piece...

And the Top has a zipper with a small compartment for little things.

Its very strange because I can't find it anywhere on the net and they said they use these types of drysuits for wakeboarding ???

I have no clue what this suit is meant for....

SCUBA_Morg:
The suit is made out of this material...
BARE_61142_small_2005.jpg

It looks like that but it is a 2 piece...

And the Top has a zipper with a small compartment for little things.

Its very strange because I can't find it anywhere on the net and they said they use these types of drysuits for wakeboarding ???

I have no clue what this suit is meant for....

Ah, it might be a sailing drysuit - There are drysuits which effectively are used when you might end up in the water, but not actually go deep - I.e when you get thrown out of a sailing dinghy etc. If it was a diving drysuit, it would have an inflator valve and a dump valve. In terms of thermal characteristics, if it's membrane, it has little effect as a wet suit, so if it leaks water, it sounds like a bit of a defective sailing drysuit. Or possibly for wakeboarding.

E:)

espenskogen:
Ah, it might be a sailing drysuit - There are drysuits which effectively are used when you might end up in the water, but not actually go deep - I.e when you get thrown out of a sailing dinghy etc. If it was a diving drysuit, it would have an inflator valve and a dump valve. In terms of thermal characteristics, if it's membrane, it has little effect as a wet suit, so if it leaks water, it sounds like a bit of a defective sailing drysuit. Or possibly for wakeboarding.

Damn.... ah well it will just have to work out for being my diving suit.... The only problem I have with it is that the chest is like 2 pieces so when swimming that gets annoying but with a BC on it should hold everything together nicely.

I never even knew there was such a thing as a wake board or sailing suit...

SCUBA_Morg:
Damn.... ah well it will just have to work out for being my diving suit.... The only problem I have with it is that the chest is like 2 pieces so when swimming that gets annoying but with a BC on it should hold everything together nicely.

I never even knew there was such a thing as a wake board or sailing suit...

I have a feeling that if it takes in water, you might as well put on a pair of speedo's - It'll probably keep you warmer...

The membrane material has no thermal qualities when it lets water in, so I would suggest just getting a standard wetsuit instead. (And if it doesn't let water in, it'll squeeze you as you go deeper, so by the time you get to 20 meters, you'd probably be in a world of pain...)

Anyway, let us know once you've tried it out.

espenskogen:
I have a feeling that if it takes in water, you might as well put on a pair of speedo's - It'll probably keep you warmer...

The membrane material has no thermal qualities when it lets water in, so I would suggest just getting a standard wetsuit instead. (And if it doesn't let water in, it'll squeeze you as you go deeper, so by the time you get to 20 meters, you'd probably be in a world of pain...)

Anyway, let us know once you've tried it out.

Tried it? I'm ready to sell it hahaha...

Its pretty useless because around the neck it is very open and easily allows a lot of water in... Even with the zipper done up completely its still bad. Its funny because the arms are strapped like the legs. Good seal there no water gets in but the neck is the worst.

I have done some swimming with it and it sucks for that purpose. So its either going to be my scuba suit once I test it out and hit some depths. Or its going to be on the market pretty soon.

Perhaps a kayaking garment?

SCUBA_Morg:
Hi
It is made by Bare and it was apparently like $200-$300 when I bought it. (It wasn't that price when I had bought it).

SCUBA_Morg,

There are wetsuits and drysuits made for activities other than diving. Who sold that suit to you?

G_M

Back
Top Bottom