dry vs semi dry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

well I dont have any reservations about price because as far as I'm concerned I have the money and it would be well spent. My parents on the other hand might kind if flip out. I'll see if I can rent one for a few days and maybe once they see I can learn how to use one and that I'm really serious about it they won't trip quite so bad when I buy one. I keep seeing these dry suits for like 700 and then ones for like 1800. What's the difference?

I am not disagreeing with any one here, as I really love my drysuit.

Unless you are going to be in really cold water or going diving in cold water regularly then going dry may not be worth it, as going dry is pretty expensive. So, although dry rocks, make sure you will actually use it enough to make it worth it.

Of course there is also the thing about durability, where most wetsuits will probably last 3-5 years depending on use, many drysuits will last 4x that long with proper maintanence and storage.

for the difference in price.
its a combination of things, everything from quality of construction, materials, features, etc..

I can name a couple of things
1) Trilam is more expensive then neoprene, and I believe crushed neoprene is more expensive than trilam
2) Sitech valves cost a little more
3) add on features like neoprene boots and overboots will likely cost more than vulcanized rubber boots
4) I am not sure why, but generally front entry suits cost more than rear, although I personnally prefer the ease of front entry

there is no such thing as semi-dry, just like you can not get semi pregnant either. you either get wet or stay dry. dry suit is warmer, wet suit is more comfortable

I find dry suits more comfortable but that may have to do with warmth and surface intervals more than anything else.

trilams are expensive and SHELL crushed neoprene is more expensive. Regular crushed neoprene isn't as expensive as trilams. With trilams, it's fully the insulation that you wear underneath that keeps you warm. Part of the advantage being you can change out undergarments, but then again you can definitely do that with any other type I guess. Crushed neoprene does have the depth compression issue while in trilams, this isn't a problem because it's completely the undergarment that you rely on for warmth.

1800 is still pretty low, all the extras that you add on can add up quite fast. DUI suits end up being 4k+ many times if you are doing a custom cut one. If you don't need to custom cut it, it'll be much cheaper.

I dive a mares semi dry, and there is such a thing as "semi dry". My legs from the thigh down get wet, but everything above stays completely dry. Biggest thing is to roll the seals on the arms, legs, and neck under far enough for a good seal.

well I'm going to be diving in 50 and 60 degree water.

You can easily do that in a semi-dry. If you can swing the cost of a dry suit then go for it but you wont be hurting diving those temps in a semi-dry.

Speak for yourself!. 10-15 minutes in those temps wet and im shaking and have to get out.

If the water temp is above 55-60, I usually opt for the semi-dry IF the topside conditions are nice. Below those temps, it's dry all the way.

But I have found that if it is nice topside, I warm up after or between dives. So the dry suit is more investment (time/effort) than the payoff.

I love my drysuit, but not every time. Gotta say, once you go dry, you'll re-evaluate when/if you'll dive wet though.

It's worth the expense. Period. Unless of course, you live in the Carribean or like islands.

I advise the drysuit as well. It may not make a difference in mid-summer, but you go dive longer, with more repition, and it will increase the overall length of dive season. When it is cold outside you would be crazy to dive wet, not because the water, but you would be freezing when you get out! With a drysuit, you don't have to worry about that!

For me the drysuit was well worth the investment!

I have a Aqualung SolAfx 8/7mm semi-dry and it is great in upper forties on up but I did get cold diving lake Superior with 41 degree temps. I still mangaged to do a 36 minute dive after having done 2 dives of 27 minutes each. Hands and feet got the coldest wearing Henderson 5mm boots and gloves but my body also got cold at those temps. I paid $450 for my suit which is a lot less than a dry suit. Most Minnesota dives below the thermocline are in the fifties in the summer so it works great for that.

Gaffer

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom