dry tortugas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverrick

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anyone have info on diving in the dry tortugas. I under stand they are just below Key West, but I haven't heard much about any diving going on. Am I right on the location? My wife and I are thinking about a weeks diving from a fixed base operator, but going out of the country is a bigger pain, then staying with in the USA area, plus more expensive. I will consider any other places you folks might reccomend as well. Been to Key West twice, but never dove there. Got to be warm water though if I expect the SO to get her toes wet.:confused:

I snorkelled at Fort Jefferson (?) in the Dry Tortugas a few months ago before moving back to Oz - didn't have a chance to do any diving there. Diving out of Key West though was pretty nice! Diving in shorts was a big change from the usual Monterey drysuit :)

Did the seaplane flight out to the tortugas - highly recommended, but you have to BYO food and drink, and it was a bit rushed. The ferry day trips are catered from memory, and you get to spend longer time at the fort.

I am d**n jealous!!!! Why couldn't I have been born rich instead of good looking...never mind, I just looked in a mirror. 0 for 2 on that one. Please post a dive report!:D

I've never been to the Tortugas but you might want to try these guys www.spearfishingcharters.com (305)872-3940. They do Liveaboad 3 & 6 day charters to the Marquesas and Tortugas. Hope this helps. And yes, the water is warm.:diver:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom