Dry suit zipper replacement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sryabinin

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all. I have a question about dry suit repair.

Recently for an unrelated reason my suit was sent out by my dive shop and pressure tested. The dive shop told me the people who did the test said the zipper was bad and they charge a large amount for zipper replacement (its a front-zip suit). The dry suit is good, but an old one so going through the trouble of paying that much for a new zipper is pointless, I might as well buy a new suit.

Before I do this, I just wanted to ask. Just how difficult is zipper replacement on a dry suit? I have read a thread on this forum detailing the procedure and it doesnt seem very hard. However, my dive shop says that it is hard and they would never attempt a job like this on their own. So which is the case?

Any information about this would be very helpful.

How hard is it? That calls for a somewhat subjective response so I'll answer "bigger than a bread box."

More constructively, I do most repairs on my own suit, including replacing seals, patching holes and servicing valves. When I had a suit that needed a new zipper I sent it to someone else to do.

As a general rule, when it's time for a new zipper, it's time for a new suit. Unless something traumatic happened to the zipper to end it's life prematurely, by the time the zipper goes the suit is usually starting to fall apart, too. YRMV.

I do all my own suit maintance, including a zipper.
HOWEVER, I have all the correct tools to do it, and my wife is a talented seamstress. You need a industrial sewing machine, the fabrics involved are to thick and heavy for your home gamer.

I would not recommend anyone replace a zipper. Most of the cost in replacing a zipper is the new zipper. That is even more true on a front entry suit.

Well if you read that post then why are you asking us if it is hard? That post describes exactly how to do it. If that seems simple then go for it, if not then send it off.

I have done one zipper and my conclusion is that you don't really save money doing it yourself. (That is not if you value your time). On the other hand if you are like me and must send your suit off for weeks to have it fixed (and you only have one suit!) then maybe it's worth it.

Hunter

It's a good amount of tedious work and usually if not always involves a contact like cement making it unforgiving. The zipper alone is a fairly pricey item so if you mess it up bad there is no happy ending. If you are comfortable with hanging wallpaper, bonding Formica and stuff like that give it a shot. Sewing may or may not be required.

Airspeed press has a pretty good book on dive suit repair that had a bunch of good information. There can come a point in a dry suit's life where the DIY approach makes a lot of sense. If it's a really good suit that had the zipper ruined prematurely I'd be inclined to let a pro do it. When I messed up my entry level suit I did it myself and so far I'm dry!

This site will give you a fair idea on parts cost.

Pete

Hmmmm, looks like he did not sew in the new zipper, I would not suggest that. The zipper should be mechanicly fastened to the suit, there is a lot more stress on it than say a neck or wrist seal.

Also, don't use contact cement. There are adhesives designed for dry suit seals and seams. What ever you do, do NOT use Aqua seal. I would also not suggest using a dremal to remove old ashesive. A heat gun and some MEK will peel it right off without possible damage to the fabric.

As you can see there is more than one way to do it. Time will tell how it holds up.

Hi all. I have a question about dry suit repair.

Recently for an unrelated reason my suit was sent out by my dive shop and pressure tested. The dive shop told me the people who did the test said the zipper was bad and they charge a large amount for zipper replacement (its a front-zip suit). The dry suit is good, but an old one so going through the trouble of paying that much for a new zipper is pointless, I might as well buy a new suit.

Before I do this, I just wanted to ask. Just how difficult is zipper replacement on a dry suit? I have read a thread on this forum detailing the procedure and it doesnt seem very hard. However, my dive shop says that it is hard and they would never attempt a job like this on their own. So which is the case?

Any information about this would be very helpful.

Maybe you saw my posting on my DIY front zip replacement?

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/re...-front-entry-shell-suit-pics-1-3mb-total.html

Although a picture's worth a thousand words, you'll have to decide for yourself if any of the steps would be difficult for you.

As was said so well by spectrum, it's a good amount of tedious work, and I'll add that there are several points where a costly or troublesome mistake can occur, but it's unlikely if you're patient and careful.

I'm completely happy with the process and results and will replace my own again when needed, since it saved me at least $200.

Hmmmm, looks like he did not sew in the new zipper, I would not suggest that. The zipper should be mechanicly fastened to the suit, there is a lot more stress on it than say a neck or wrist seal.

Also, don't use contact cement. There are adhesives designed for dry suit seals and seams. What ever you do, do NOT use Aqua seal. I would also not suggest using a dremal to remove old ashesive. A heat gun and some MEK will peel it right off without possible damage to the fabric.

As you can see there is more than one way to do it. Time will tell how it holds up.

Sewing would have been simpler and stronger, but the industrial strength contact cement I used (S-18) is more than strong enough. I have no worries about the glue failing. It's holding like iron!

Since I have a more powerful sewing machine now, I'll use that on my next DIY zipper replacement, but only because it simplifies the installation. :)

Dave C

Last edited:
for the amount of work vs. price I'd send it to Steve Gamble in Florida. He replaced the one in my CF200 for $275 IIRC.

...As a general rule, when it's time for a new zipper, it's time for a new suit. Unless something traumatic happened to the zipper to end it's life prematurely, by the time the zipper goes the suit is usually starting to fall apart, too...

In my experience, a suit that is well cared for will last at least 2 or 3 zipper lifetimes.

Neck seals & wrist seals wear out about every 3 to 4 years and need to be replaced.

Attached boots and zippers last 5 or 6 years, and need to be replaced.

I suppose that it all depends on the quality of suit to begin with. And el-cheapo thin shell suit may not last very long, whereas a trilam shell suit a lot longer.

My trilam shell suit is going on 10 years, looks as good as the day I bought it, and is going on its 3rd set of seals, 2nd set of boots, and 2nd zipper too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom