Dry Suit Undergarments

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ththooft

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello-

Does anyone know where to find cheap dry suit undergarments online? I have some Dive Rite undergarments, but I'd like to add to my wardrobe (and not spend $300) if possible. Also, can you "cheat" and use anything from a sporting goods store or something like that?

Thanks!
T

I use the more expensive undergarments in the dead of winter. When the water gets up into the middle 50's I'll use polypro or other sports undergarments.

I understand your reluctance to bleed money to obtain undergarments. But I have to say that some of the best money I've spent on my diving equipment was on my quilted Thinsulate undergarments. Not only are they relatively thin and flexible for the amount of insulation they provide, they have now proven their worth TWICE when soaking wet. The last dive I had almost 30 minutes in 50 degree water with the entire front of the undergarment (down to my feet) absolutely drenched, and I didn't start shivering until I got out of the water.

To me, the undergarment is a critical part of safety, and I'm really glad I spent what I did on it.

I had a duffel full of winter combat clothing sitting in the attic with very little chance of ever seeing active duty again ;-) . The isolating undergarments fitted the bill when I started diving dry.

I visited an climbing/trekking store yesterday. The polypropylene undergarments I saw there seemed expensive and kinda ... thin.

TSandM:
I understand your reluctance to bleed money to obtain undergarments. But I have to say that some of the best money I've spent on my diving equipment was on my quilted Thinsulate undergarments. Not only are they relatively thin and flexible for the amount of insulation they provide, they have now proven their worth TWICE when soaking wet. The last dive I had almost 30 minutes in 50 degree water with the entire front of the undergarment (down to my feet) absolutely drenched, and I didn't start shivering until I got out of the water.

To me, the undergarment is a critical part of safety, and I'm really glad I spent what I did on it.

agreed..i was questioing buying the DC thinsulate undergarments, they are expensive..but the first dive i did in them where my drysuit leaked took care of that...perfectly warm in 47F water...

I would get some Fourth Elemement Arctic Fleece top and bottoms (http://www.fourthelement.com/content.php?content=home.php) . They are a very stretchy fleece, double layer (So not high loft and needing extra weight to compensate). Also if you dive doubles you may want to think about the undersuit bunching around your elbows/shoulders and affecting access to the valves. The Fourth Elements dont seem to do this, and once i changed to them i found shutdowns very easy. They are pretty warm wet too.

Hope that helps

Campmor route...200 wt Polar Tech top and bottom ($60), tolerable for 70F caves, not warm enough for 50F lake water.

Added a thermal wicking undershirt ($20), helped a little.

Added military surplus polypro bottoms ($30) and 200 wt fleece vest ($20)...works ok, but now with $130 invested, I wish I'd just gone for 200g Thinsulate or Compact Weezle.

you can layer poly in your suit, for water temps,
But a good set is nice,but you need a pair or two if you mass dive otherwise you will get stinky,
Thats why I like my Neo dry suit heck I can wear anything-but like my Wallmart poly & I'm Warm
Brad

Back
Top Bottom