Dry Suit Squeeze

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow a lot of great responses here. First, I have a Zeagle Ranger weight integrated BC and a high pressure steel 120 tank, undergarment is a 200g polar fleece. I figure since I use 22#'s with my wetsuit, 30 would be adequate in the dry...I guess if I stay shallow it's ok. Bottom line is add air and add weight. Whoever said 10% body weight + 10 lbs might be right....that would be about 37-38 lbs in my case...lots more that I thought. Just hope I can walk to the dock with all that stuff. I'll keep checking back for more ideas. Thanks again.

You're using 38 pounds with a fleece? I am going to suggest you do a proper weight check. You may be using a lot more weight than you need.

I agree with the 30lbs sounding a little light. I'm 6'4" 260 and use 38lbs w/ a steel lp 80 tank. The undergarment is a BARE T100. It's a little cool after 40 minutes in 46 degrees, but beats the HECK out of the old 7mil. On the weights, I use a ss bp, 6lbs of lead in the STA, and have two of those XSScuba tank band weight pouches. So I end up putting the rest in the weightbelt. 16lbs isn't too bad on a weight belt.
Weight varies according to individual. Went back and checked my logbook. (I am 5'11" and ~200lb.) With my trilam DS, a Ranger BC, and a HP steel 120, I used 33.3lb of weight several years ago in fresh water and made the note, 'Plenty of weight.' On the dive before that, with an AL80, I used 36.3 lbs. Two years later, I used 26 lbs, with the DS, the Ranger, and the HP120, and made the note, 'Probably more weight than necessary.' I have since moved to a SS BP, and use A LOT less weight. But, I still use a SS BP with my doubles (HP120s), and require 3-6 lbs in saltwater.

I'd do what others have suggested, and do a proper weight check. Make sure when you do this, that you don't have air trapped in the suit. It's really best done at the end of a dive when the drysuit has been squeezed, and the tank air is low.

I'd also keep your drysuit dives shallow initially until you have this issue worked out.

On the surface it sounds like you need more weight. 30lbs sounds like a lot of weight, but don't be discouraged by those that dive with a lot less, people are different. There is nothing wrong with diving 30#, what causes issues is when you are seriously overweighted. OTOH, most divers find that they can drop a LOT of weight once they become experienced.

I am 6'1'' and 185 lbs. I end up comfortable with twenty-eight pounds on me. that is with two sets of thermals on. it sounds like we are basicly the same build. The tricks I use to stay comfortable are these...

1. only use air in the BC on the surface for flotation. when under water you have no air in the BC. Yes. completely empty.

2. Use the chest valve and the shoulder dump to maintain boyancy (this requires some practice).

If you get used to diving ths way, you will find that as you go deeper / colder, you are adding air to maintain boyancy, and keep you warm and comfortable. Practice this in shallow depths first, it can be tricky, and you do not want a free ascent.

1. only use air in the BC on the surface for flotation. when under water you have no air in the BC. Yes. completely empty.

2. Use the chest valve and the shoulder dump to maintain boyancy (this requires some practice).

If you get used to diving ths way, you will find that as you go deeper / colder, you are adding air to maintain boyancy, and keep you warm and comfortable. Practice this in shallow depths first, it can be tricky, and you do not want a free ascent.

This is the method PADI teaches. I don't use it. I use my BC as my buoyancy compensator, and my Drysuit as exposure protection. Adding air to the Drysuit will change your buoyancy, so I add air to my drysuit as I descend, and don't add anything to my BC unless I'm descending too fast, or about 10 feet from the target depth.

There is no right or wrong way to do this. PADI teaches using the Drysuit as a BC, but most people I dive with find that an awkward way to control buoyancy. One reason it's awkward to control buoyancy with the Drysuit is that it's easy to trap air in them, and harder to release air quickly if that is necessary. Dumping air out of BC can be done quickly, but drysuit valves dump air very slowly.

Having tried it both ways I now use my BCD for buoyancy control and add just enough air to the suit to offset squeeze. Having most of the lift on my back also helps my trim.

My current suit is compressed neoprene, which has some inherent insulation. If I were diving a shell suit and 300g undies I might have to use more air than I do now.

Fresh vs Salt will certainly alter the answers, but not 20 pounds worth. I've not shed any weight used over the time I've used my drysuit. And I think all told I've only made 20-30 drysuit dives at this point

I float without any gear.

If you look at my profile photo, you'll see me in a photo after a dry dive. No weightbelt, 6 pounds in a tailweight, and a DSS Kydex backplate (weighs about 1 pound). That is my normal config with my polarfleece undergarment. Like I said, I add a few more pounds with the 300g Thinsulate suit.

I agree fresh vs salt makes about 10 lbs difference for me.
I dive with viking HD drysuit, Bare polar extreme underwear, aluminum back plate & wing, aluminum 80 tank, 28 lbs in fresh water(24 on belt, & 2 x 2lb ankle weights).
I add a 10 lb keel weight for salt water.
I'm 6 ft, 250 lbs. Over 800 drysuit dives, 200 in salt water.
A set of twin 98 fabre steel tanks drops 12 lbs off my weight.(this is precisely how negative they are)

Mike D

This is the method PADI teaches. I don't use it. I use my BC as my buoyancy compensator, and my Drysuit as exposure protection. Adding air to the Drysuit will change your buoyancy, so I add air to my drysuit as I descend, and don't add anything to my BC unless I'm descending too fast, or about 10 feet from the target depth.

There is no right or wrong way to do this. PADI teaches using the Drysuit as a BC, but most people I dive with find that an awkward way to control buoyancy. One reason it's awkward to control buoyancy with the Drysuit is that it's easy to trap air in them, and harder to release air quickly if that is necessary. Dumping air out of BC can be done quickly, but drysuit valves dump air very slowly.

I agree with RonFrank, however I add comment that it depends on the type of drysuit.
I dive with a shell (viking) suit, and basically just have to add air to compensate for squeeze of the air pocket in the suit (to maintain the loft in my underwear) to stay neutral & warm. A neoprene suit also squeezes in thckness & buoyancy, so additional air must be added to compensate. adding this extra to the suit, stretches/stresses the seams, eventually causing leaks. A neoprene suit requiress both the suit & BC to be used. Once the loft has been retored additional air should be added to the BC to maintain neutral buoyancy.
My 2 cents on the subject.

Mike D

Back
Top Bottom