Dry Suit Squeeze

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with the 30lbs sounding a little light. I'm 6'4" 260 and use 38lbs w/ a steel lp 80 tank. The undergarment is a BARE T100. It's a little cool after 40 minutes in 46 degrees, but beats the HECK out of the old 7mil.

On the weights, I use a ss bp, 6lbs of lead in the STA, and have two of those XSScuba tank band weight pouches. So I end up putting the rest in the weightbelt. 16lbs isn't too bad on a weight belt.

Wow you guys use a lot of lead. I use about 10 pounds with my plastic backplate, and 4-6 pounds when I use the steel backplate. I'm 6'0" and 245-250#. I add another 5 pounds for my 300g thinsulate suit.

I agree with the 30lbs sounding a little light. I'm 6'4" 260 and use 38lbs w/ a steel lp 80 tank. The undergarment is a BARE T100. It's a little cool after 40 minutes in 46 degrees, but beats the HECK out of the old 7mil.

On the weights, I use a ss bp, 6lbs of lead in the STA, and have two of those XSScuba tank band weight pouches. So I end up putting the rest in the weightbelt. 16lbs isn't too bad on a weight belt.

I agree with PerroneFord. I am 6'5 265 I use 20lbs with no back plate and a steel 90 tank. Just put enough air in the suit to take the squeeze off. Keep in mind that your best position in the water is horizontal not vertical. Once the squeeze is off use your BC for your buoyancy.

Wow you guys use a lot of lead. I use about 10 pounds with my plastic backplate, and 4-6 pounds when I use the steel backplate. I'm 6'0" and 245-250#. I add another 5 pounds for my 300g thinsulate suit.

Which tank(s) are you using? (I assume a shell suit with thin unders in warm water?)

I weigh 205lbs and usually dive with a 9lb plate, a 14lb negative (full) faber HP100 and 9lbs on my belt. Suit is a DUI CF200 and unders are Bare CT200 for water temps in the high 40's to low 50's.

Probably need a bit more undergarment and a bit more weight until you are used to the charecteristics of your suit. Less air in the BC also helps.
When you get the squeeze, add air to the suit (not the BC) to allow for full motion of the suit...then on accent, just roll the arm up and let the air out...
Hope this helps.
Kirsten

Hi!
Now you're just showing off :wink:
Is your config saltwater or springs? That may have something to do with the answers.
Your configuration is something we may all aspire to, but I don't think is attainable after only his 3rd DS dive. (or my 20th for that matter).
Do you float or sink without any gear? I float.

Which tank(s) are you using? (I assume a shell suit with thin unders in warm water?)

I weigh 205lbs and usually dive with a 9lb plate, a 14lb negative (full) faber HP100 and 9lbs on my belt. Suit is a DUI CF200 and unders are Bare CT200 for water temps in the high 40's to low 50's.

This is my setup for twin 108s. Yes a shell suit. But I don't know anyone that would call a 300g suit "thin". I bought that for diving in 45-50 degree water. I overheat with it in the springs, but I had to test my weighting.

I only add a couple more pounds when I am using my AL80 doubles. So overall I am ALWAYS carrying less than 15 pounds with me in freshwater. I would need 4% more in saltwater.

Hi!
Now you're just showing off :wink:
Is your config saltwater or springs? That may have something to do with the answers.
Your configuration is something we may all aspire to, but I don't think is attainable after only his 3rd DS dive. (or my 20th for that matter).
Do you float or sink without any gear? I float.

Fresh vs Salt will certainly alter the answers, but not 20 pounds worth. I've not shed any weight used over the time I've used my drysuit. And I think all told I've only made 20-30 drysuit dives at this point

I float without any gear.

If you look at my profile photo, you'll see me in a photo after a dry dive. No weightbelt, 6 pounds in a tailweight, and a DSS Kydex backplate (weighs about 1 pound). That is my normal config with my polarfleece undergarment. Like I said, I add a few more pounds with the 300g Thinsulate suit.

Wow a lot of great responses here. First, I have a Zeagle Ranger weight integrated BC and a high pressure steel 120 tank, undergarment is a 200g polar fleece. I figure since I use 22#'s with my wetsuit, 30 would be adequate in the dry...I guess if I stay shallow it's ok. Bottom line is add air and add weight. Whoever said 10% body weight + 10 lbs might be right....that would be about 37-38 lbs in my case...lots more that I thought. Just hope I can walk to the dock with all that stuff. I'll keep checking back for more ideas. Thanks again.

Have you been using my setup? Minus 2 ounds on the belt and we're the same.

Back
Top Bottom