dry suit humbled me

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I first went dry I posted a similar inquiry. Everyone on SB was most helpfull. Now that I have been diving dry for a while I can say that that the responses to my query were quite correct. It is true that a drysuit makes you feel like a new diver. Thats ok tho, because sometimes it is nice to feel new. After a short time you will regain your ballance and trim. The DS is a simple tool that will help you dive in waters that others would easily bail on. Keep the tool and dive where people would prefer not to...Peace, Dg

After my first 6 dives in a dry suit I was certain I had made a BIG EXPENSIVE mistake. After 10 I knew I could live with it,barely. After 15 I have no idea how I lived without the thing So, hang in there and practice shallow.

charlieo:
After my first 6 dives in a dry suit I was certain I had made a BIG EXPENSIVE mistake. After 10 I knew I could live with it,barely. After 15 I have no idea how I lived without the thing So, hang in there and practice shallow.

That pretty much mirrors my experience when I forst got my drysuit. I can't do without it now!

I still prefer diving wet with water temps over 75F or so.

But below that, there ain't no way I'm diving in a wetsuit. I like being warm!

I enjoyed reading this thread. I think I had all the same issues, including the hickies (very bad) :theyareon Even though I made a bad purchase, wrong size, I enjoy my (semi) drysuit. I am shopping for a better "place", to buy my next drysuit.

Kaniglet

How can enjoy getting wet, in a drysuit?​

I too just received my first drysuit. I bought an Andy's DS3. Went to the pool last night for a drysuit certification class so I could have some idea as to how to dive in it.
In the pool, I did not wear my undergarmet which I bet will make a difference.

As far as the suit, everythink worked great except for my boots. When I practiced being inverted, my feet would slip out of the boots. I think the boot is too big, at least without socks.

I am also taking a night and navigation class right now. My certification dive for that is on Jan 31 and Feb 1 at Titlow. Everyone in the class has also signed up for a boat dive Sat morning. This will be the first time I am in my drysuit with undergarmet and socks on. I hope all goes well.

For the "sneaky foot" problem, you are correct that wearing more socks on will help.
You may also want to go with aan 18" velcro strap around the ankle. Some folks use dog collars.
Keeps the boots on the feet, fins on the boots, & slows any excess air migration.

rakjar:
As far as the suit, everythink worked great except for my boots. When I practiced being inverted, my feet would slip out of the boots. I think the boot is too big, at least without socks.

Fin keepers ... a good cheap fix for this problem.

I am also taking a night and navigation class right now. My certification dive for that is on Jan 31 and Feb 1 at Titlow. Everyone in the class has also signed up for a boat dive Sat morning. This will be the first time I am in my drysuit with undergarmet and socks on. I hope all goes well.

Haven't checked the tides for that evening ... but if conditions permit, head over to the two lone pilings sticking up south of the entry (a fair surface swim, but worth the effort). Drop down and take a southwesterly heading away from the pilings to about 30-35 fsw (depending on tides). There are several small ledges out there that are home to wolf eels and octopus. To my concern, that's the best part of Titlow ... the pilings are nice, but you won't see wolfies or octos out there. For a real navigational challenge, use natural topography and elapsed time as well as compass heading to see how close to the entry you can get while coming in underwater. That's much closer to the real world than a simple "out and back" kind of profile.

Just a thought for added value to your nav dive ... have fun, Titlow's an awesome dive site.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bought my Bare commercial at LDS. Instruction consisted of showing me how to store it without ruining the zipper and telling me not to get my feet higher than my shoulders. Thusly, I entered Puget Sound. The suit has integral gaiters. My feet fell out of the boots and I was still trying to kick. It looked like I had both ankles broken. I wasn't goign anywhere, either. My dive buddy was laughing so hard that he flooded his mask and spit his regulator out. Bought ankle weights, and they not only kept boots on, my trim was just the way I like it. That was two years and 60+ dives ago. I have been able to hover effortlessly for some time now. It really aggravates my son (he actually has to work at staying neutral). The suit was no more difficult to learn to run than a BC. It is LOTS easier to control than a BC. I would dive dry in anything below 78F, just for the ease of bouancy control. It gets easier, I promise. Bill.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom