dry suit hood -- latex vs. neoprene

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In response to the question of how does one equalize while wearing a dry hood, the procedure is the same. Such a diver is working against an equal amount of air pressure instead of water pressure in his/her ears. A diver who is wearing a dry suit is just as likley to suffer the effects of water pressure as a diver in a bathing suit, including those effects that act upon the ears. The water pressure on the outside of the latex acts upon the air inside the hood which then acts upon the ear itself. I hope that helps.

I too have a Viking Xtreme and have the attached latex hood. If I'm careful about how I put the hood on, it stays dry, but if I hurry to get in the water, it'll leak and get my head wet. Either way, I STAY WARM in even the coldest water. The insulating beenie that comes with the hood works well, dries quickly and is no hassle to wear. I REALLY like the hood and would not consider diving without it.

We were in Tobermory in June and at 78ffw on the deck of the Niagara II the water temp was 34 degrees. My head was warm and dry as was the rest of my body. ALL of the other divers on the trip were wearing wetsuit hoods, and were commenting on how cold the water was as first, but I really didn't notice it too much.

I'd like to thank the folks at Viking for the great suit, and the kids at Softwear Undergarments for the excellent undies. Under all of that, I had on a pair of shorts and a tee shirt and was really comfortable.

Can someone answer me some questions?

If you get the latex hood and it leaks, does the water go down the neck or is there still a neck seal keeping you dry even when the hood floods?

How does the mask seal on the latex hood? If you flood your mask have you flooded your hood too? How about the regulator? Does the hood seal around your chin?

Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom