Dry suit HELP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaKeith001

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
WHITES XL DRY SUIT

I recently acquired a dry suit from a friend of mine. I have no experience in dry suits yet and have just used it in the pool a few times messing around with it. When I first received it the neck seal was to big for me and every time I looked around it would exhaust air and the dry suit would constrict me.

I took it in, to have it looked at, at the local scuba dealer down from my house. They said it needed a new neck seal. I paid for the new seal and the scuba manager cut down the neck seal to supposedly fit mine. I brought it home and took it into the pool today and still the same problem.????....WTF. My frustration stills lingers...

My questions are.........

1: Is the suit to big for me? or would that have anything to do with this problem? I am 5'10" about 160lbs.

2: Did he cut the neck seal to short?

3: My experience level is lacking and I need a class? (Already signed up for one)

As always your help on here is appreciated.

Keith

Sounds like the seal might have been cut a bit short, but I am no authority on these matters...

If you are of a slender build, and do not have much extra "insulation" on your neck, the issues you are having might not truly be a result of an improper cut on the seal. I do not see how the suit size should affect this too much...

I have seen a lot of folks turn their neck seals inward once they put their suits on, but I do not do so and have not had any major issues with water getting into my suit (except when I hopped into the water with the seal stretched around a neck ring).

I would certainly talk to the shop that did the work, and see what they tell you. You might consider trying to change the way you situate the neck seal. I don't have a drysuit certification yet, but the mentorship you would get from a good instructor in such a course might help you out in this department.

Good luck, and make sure to post up whatever solution you find to the problem!!!

The shop guy should have known better than to trim the neck seal without a progressive fit test.

the K

It could be that the manager cut the seal too loose, but it could also be how you are positioning the seal. Make sure the seal is below your adam's apple, and that the top 1 - 1.5 inches of the seal is laying flat against your neck. If you can't get at least an inch to lay flat, then chances are the seal was cut too loose.

1: Is the suit to big for me? or would that have anything to do with this problem? I am 5'10" about 160lbs.
Specifically which model of Whites drysuit do you own? I'm about the same height/weight as you. I fit into the Whites Fusion L/XL size. For a Whites Nexus/Catalyst drysuit, I'd fit into a medium. If you have a Nexus or Catalyst drysuit, an XL suit will definitely be too big for you. The fit might be so poor that it could be rather dangerous -- too many places for gas pockets to be created which will complicate maintaining proper horizontal trim and could inhibit venting.

To make sure that a drysuit fits, you need to try it on. If you don't know how a drysuit should fit, you need to find someone to help you. Any experienced drysuit diver or dive shop that sells drysuits should be able to help you. When purchasing a drysuit (used or new), the most important thing to ensure is proper fit. It's a safety and comfort issue.

The drysuit hole through which a diver sticks his head is typically a standard size. Generally speaking, a neck seal of the appropriate size should be able to be installed on any drysuit so that the suit can "fit" people with fat, skinny, or "normal"-sized necks.
2: Did he cut the neck seal to short?
I have no idea. I'm going to assume that a latex neck seal is installed on your drysuit. FWIW, there are other materials that neck seals can be made of (neoprene, silicone, etc.).

First of all, you need to make sure that the latex neck seal installed has a "fit range" that matches the size of your neck. Not every latex neck seal is one size fits all. For example, I take a "medium" size Viking-brand bellows-style seal.

Secondly, you need to trim the ring appropriately. It helps to work slowly, use a sharp cutting tool (rotary cutter, razor blade, scissors), and err on the side of leaving it slightly tight. Dangerously "too tight" refers to a fit that causes bulging neck veins, restricted bloodflow to the head, and diminished/labored/difficulty breathing. You should be able to don your neck seal and comfortably sit on your couch for an hour. Watch a baseball/basketball/hockey/football game. As you wear it, you should forget that it's even on. Something else to keep in mind is that over time, a latex seal will relax a little. That's why I recommend trimming it to be "slightly tight." Otherwise, 6 months down the road, your neck seal might start to leak.

I hope that the guy at your local shop had you don the neck seal to ensure proper fit. There's no such thing as "eye-balling" how much to trim down a latex neck seal. The fitting process usually consists of trimming one ring, trying it on, trimming another ring, trying it on again, etc.
3: My experience level is lacking and I need a class? (Already signed up for one)
This is a good idea. You should be learning to operate a drysuit from someone who knows how. That person can be an instructor, mentor, or experienced drysuit buddy. A formal drysuit course should teach you how to recover from a feet-first ascent, how to trim neck/wrist seals, how to make sure that your drysuit fits, how best to manage the drysuit bubble (during ascents, in particular), the importance of proper horizontal trim, how/when to add gas to your BCD rather than your drysuit, how your undergarment + drysuit combo affects weighting requirements, and how to store/maintain your drysuit.

Good luck with learning how to use your drysuit. Hopefully, it is the right size for you and the learning curve won't be too steep. If it's not the right size, sell it off and buy something that fits.

FWIW, becoming truly comfortable in a drysuit will take lots of dives. I thought I had it down after a couple of dives. 10 dives later, I felt like I had more control. 25 dives after that, I was feeling quite comfortable. 50 dives later, much more comfortable. With 100+ drysuit dives, I didn't have to think at all about operating the suit. Now I can't imagine diving in SoCal water without one. When I go on warm water dive vacations, during initial descent, I try to hit the drysuit inflater button in the center of my chest. I look pretty silly since I'm usually diving a 3mm wetsuit. YMMV.

Last edited:
Two things -- if you are vertical in a dry suit, air will only be contained by the neck seal, which is not usually capable of retaining much pressure. And if you are carrying a very large air bubble in the suit (which will be true if you are using the suit for buoyancy, and worse if you are at all overweighted) there will be a big bubble pushing up on the seal. The combination will cause many seals to "burp" (and admit water at the same time!)

Your seal may, in fact, be too loose -- but I would make sure that you are testing it from a roughly horizontal position. If turning your head in that attitude makes the seal leak, it is too loose.

Dry suits are wonderful for staying dry and warm, but they are a little more finicky about positioning than wetsuits are.

Two things -- if you are vertical in a dry suit, air will only be contained by the neck seal, which is not usually capable of retaining much pressure. And if you are carrying a very large air bubble in the suit (which will be true if you are using the suit for buoyancy, and worse if you are at all overweighted) there will be a big bubble pushing up on the seal. The combination will cause many seals to "burp" (and admit water at the same time!)
@ScubaKeith001: This is absolutely true. If you are vertical in the water column in a drysuit, you'll feel a squeeze in your legs...and as the water burps out your neck seal, your chest/arms will also feel a squeeze. During the burp, water will enter your suit. Voila. You have a semi-wet drysuit.

For most ascents and descents in my drysuit, I'm in a horizontal position to maintain the right amount of gas in my suit and prevent neck burps from occurring. You should learn all of this in your drysuit class.

I've found that as my latex neck seal gets long-in-the-tooth I'm loathe to turn my head too much for fear of breaking the watertight seal. I'm also less likely to get into vertical or inverted positions while diving (to take photos).

Thanks to everyone who has helped out with this answer. I am going to take it back in and talk with the manager who cut it. He will probably bitch and complain but thats not my problem.

He cut one ring off with scissors and I tried it on. Seemed to tight, so he cut another one. It seems to be comfortable but may be to loose?? Not sure.

When I got into the pool I have noticed that my legs are tight until I am horizontal in the water. I have a weight belt on and it seems that the air can not get into the legs very easily until I am horizontal. Its weird for me to explain. I wish I had a buddy who used one so I can show him and get more understanding on this thing. But everyone I dive with has a wetsuit.

Hopefully the class will better explain everything..

Also when I have the suit on without air in it and without me in the water. The neck seal is loose. Not around my neck just sort a hanging there... Like there's extra play in it. Between the seal and the neck on the dry suit itself.

If that makes any sense at all..... ha!!

It takes my neoprene neck seals about 20-25 dives before they become comfortable out of the water. In the water I don't even notice them but out of the water its a tad tight.

If your brand new neck seal is loose and comfortable on the surface my guess is its too loose.

Another possibility is you have a very thin neck and might need something like the "bioseal" thing around your neck so the neck seal has something good to seal against.

Back
Top Bottom