dry suit glue?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubaalblake

Contributor
Reaction score
Just fitted a pee valve to my trilaminate drysuit.
I need to glue the gasket to the suit.
What glue do you suggest?

In UK I previously used some brilliant 2 part glue...based on toluene(!)...with a catalyst (part B) that was diphenylmethane diisocyanate.

Yes - I know its all very toxic, scary, scary scary...but brilliant glue and I used to do this for a living...used in ventilated space etc...
Now I live in Australia and I have no idea what the equivalent glue would be.
Basically a 2-part impact adhesive.

Can anyone tell me a brand name of the glue they use on their trilaminate (not neoprene) suit?

Thanks
Ps Not Aquaseal :)

Pliobond, unsure of availability down under

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

I suspect you were using Bostik 2402 in the UK.

Bostik 2402 Adhesive Part A

Might be worth while you calling the supplier in the link above. (it's a link to an Australian supplier)

Do you need to glue the gasket on? I have two suits and have not had any issues with not gluing the gaskets on. I just use some baby shampoo or other water based lubricant to the side gasket that the valve turns on when tightening. This lets the valve slide over the rubber gasket and not drag the material causing a pucker in the suit fabric.

Yep all the other gaskets (for valves) are glued in by the manufacturer. Because its a dual-shell membrane suit the outer suit is canvas like cloth material and the inner suit is very thin PVC/rubber. Because the layers are so thin without glueing the gasket, sideways pull could pull the suit material out of the areas where its clamped around the valve.....hope that makes sense....I think I might have led everyone astray by saying trilaminate in the OP :)

When I install a pee valve like the OMS pee valve in a Fusion, I just use a silicone adhesive and glue the gaskets on each side of the inner bladder. Then I cut a circle from the iron on material in an Iron Mend repair kit about 1" in diameter larger than the Pee valve. I then iron it on the area where the pee valve will poke though, hot punch the hole, and then use the cover on the valve to clamp the fabric in place.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom