Dry suit dump valve replacement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TwoBitTxn

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My dry suit dump valve has been leaking for awhile and I think it has gotten significantly worse. It's a SI tech valve.

I would like to replace it. I saw the Apeks valve and it looks alot smaller.

Suggestions? Sources for valves?

When I pulled the old valve off there was quite a bit of silicone goo under the outside section. Sealant? Necessary?

Thanks,

TwoBit

Probably sealant, but its a bad sign, as if it is properly installed, it should not be leaking without sealant as it seals against the mating surface on the suit. My thoughts are that the valve was leaking and someone added sealant thinking it was leaking where it was attached to the suit. Alternatively, the valve is fine and it was still leaking where it was attached.

I know that the Si Tech valve uses a smaller inlet fitting than some valves so the diameter of the hole in your suit will come into play as will the rubber mating surface designed to fit the specific valve. I'd replaced it with a newer Si Tech valve. I just bought a new Si Tech dump valve for my suit on line for $20.00 about a month ago. Otherwise it could run $60-$80.

I prefer the si tech valve to any other dump valve I have had on any suit, but I have also never owned an Apeks valve so I can't compare the two.

Thanks DA.

I just bought a new Si Tech dump valve for my suit on line for $20.00 about a month ago. Otherwise it could run $60-$80.
From where?

I forgot I had Harlow's book on dry suit repair. I'm going to clean the valve really good before I replace it.

TwoBit

My dry suit dump valve has been leaking for awhile and I think it has gotten significantly worse. It's a SI tech valve.

I would like to replace it. I saw the Apeks valve and it looks alot smaller.

Suggestions? Sources for valves?

When I pulled the old valve off there was quite a bit of silicone goo under the outside section. Sealant? Necessary?

Thanks,

TwoBit

You can get replacement valves from Bob3 on Scubaboard. You can potentially get a cheaper deal on e-bay if you have patience and luck.

I went the other way and exchanged a Apeks valve for a SI tech valve. I am not sure exactly where you found the silicone sealant, but DUI does use sealant in the threads of the two sides of the valves, to prevent them from coming unscrewed. SI-tech sells a separate piece which is called a valve port. The valve port is a rubber gasket that protects against leaks and prevents the valve from coming unscrewed easily. The hole for my Apeks and SI-tech valves was the same, but this may not always be the case. Installation is pretty simple: (1) unscrew old valve, (2) bond on valve port, (3) screw on new valve, (4) wait 24 hours, (5) dive. With the valve port no silicone sealant is necessary, and the valve is removable for servicing.

I got mine from this guy, James Wrinkle and here are the dimensions according to him. They are a good fit to the Poseidon Unisuit FWIW.

"The overall is 2 1/2" and the center thread is 1 1/4". The backing plate is the same size as the valve"

eBay My World - drysuitrx

I bought both valves from the same guy. They work great and he was easy to deal with. He combined shipping for me too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom