Dry Suit Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

simong6

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all this is going to be a really stupid question, but are there many dry suit divers on here?

i did my first dry suit dive on monday night, and i really cannot make my mind up if i liked it or not!

do you have any tips for me for next time, as the next time i am in it is at a place called Capenwray in the north west of england getting my open water certs!!

simong6:
Hi all this is going to be a really stupid question, but are there many dry suit divers on here?

i did my first dry suit dive on monday night, and i really cannot make my mind up if i liked it or not!

do you have any tips for me for next time, as the next time i am in it is at a place called Capenwray in the north west of england getting my open water certs!!

I just tried out a drysuit the other day (see the thread here) and I loved it. The water was 46 degrees and I was toasty warm.

One of the things my instructor mentioned to me was that it would take me about 10 dives to feel comfortable in the suit. After about 3 though I had already decided that I didn't want to do cold water (52- degrees F) dives with a wetsuit anymore.

I want one - been scouring E-bay and trying to talk to the shop that did the certification into giving me a deal.

-Nick

If you're used to diving a wetsuit - you'll never 'Like' a drysuit. You will like how warm it'll keep you. You may get to like just pulling it off,drying your hair and going to get a bite to eat. You'll never like how it 'handles' in the water compared to a wet suit.

simong6:

If you are having trouble making up your mind...

Dive with the drysuit...

Then make the same dive with a wetsuit...:D :D

If it is cold water...I think it will be self evident...

CIBDiving:
If you're used to diving a wetsuit - you'll never 'Like' a drysuit. You will like how warm it'll keep you. You may get to like just pulling it off,drying your hair and going to get a bite to eat. You'll never like how it 'handles' in the water compared to a wet suit.
I didn't see a smile face anywhere. You are kidding, Right?

Gary D.

I recently started diving dry and have not reached a level of comfort that I would like but it is getting easier with every dive. Up to this year, I always dove wet in low 40 degree F temps. The initial warmth for me was nice but it seems that over extended periods of time, my Pinnicle Arctic wetsuit (http://www.pinnacleaquatics.com/productdetails.aspx?prodid=5&toplvl=4&catid=4&catprods=4) was warmer. This could be attributed to the base underware that came with my drysuit. I just bought Weezle Wear Extreme+ under wear. I am guessing my cold problem is a thing of the past with this. The dry gloves a pleasure too. The loss of mobility with the dry gloves were not so great.

Dennis

Simon,
You will find hundreds of drysuit divers here. :D The best advice I was ever given was keep as much air out of the suit as possible and control boyancy with BCD only. Add air to drysuit only when squeeze is uncomfortable, but dive the suit 'tight'. This changed EVERYTHING for me - my boyancy is better, my trim is better, and I'm more comfortable. I really enjoy diving my drysuit now.

The added bonus is that it's always nice to be able to just doff your suit and slip right into a pair of shoes and walk directly into a restaurant for a hot bowl of chowder.

-Ben M.

Gary D.:
I didn't see a smile face anywhere. You are kidding, Right?

Gary D.

No, I liken the difference to a sports car compared to a delivery van.

I've been Drysuit diving since last October, and it's the only way to go for Cold Water Diving. I also added Dry gloves for extra warmth in the finger tips. Also I noticed that my air consuption got better with the Drysuit, I guess I use less air when I'm not Frezzin my butt off.

Still diving a 3mm Wetsuit in 70 Degree or better water would be my first choice:D.

CIBDiving:
No, I liken the difference to a sports car compared to a delivery van.

Is your experience with a trilam or compressed neoprene suit?

Back
Top Bottom