Dry Suit Certification Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok Now I'm really confused. After consulting another LDS near me, they told me their course consists of a 1 day pool session. Isn't there usually more to a certification course than just a pool session? I would think that after being taught proper techniques in a pool that the instructor would have me do at least one supervised dive to prove myself to him/her, and show learned skills.

PADI is one orientation pool session and 2 open water dives. The 2 ow are really a minimum. It takes more than that to feel comfortable with the dry suit.

IMHO drysuit certification courses are just another way to suck money out of the customer.

There is no doubt a new drysuit owner needs instruction and orientation on the proper use of a drysuit.

Any dive shop providing a descent level of service will inlcude orientation and training dives in the price of the new suit.

The shop I deal with does.

Mike D
:blfish:

mddolson once bubbled...
IMHO drysuit certification courses are just another way to suck money out of the customer.

There is no doubt a new drysuit owner needs instruction and orientation on the proper use of a drysuit.

Any dive shop providing a descent level of service will inlcude orientation and training dives in the price of the new suit.

The shop I deal with does.

Mike D
:blfish:

Of course classes are a way to get money. Trading classes and gear for money are what diveshops and instructors do. Of course, providing gas for your car is just a way for gas stations to suck money from you. If we didn't find ways to suck money out of the customer we would have no use for them. Classes are also a good way to learn things and have fun and oh darn they cost money. Now that we have the really obvuous stuff out of the way...

There are techniques and emergency procedures that you need to learn to use a dry suit safely and effectively. These skills are best practiced under the supervision of someone trained to conduct them. Do you need the card? Well, if you ever need to rent a suit the answer may be yes. If I know a diver has experience in a dry suit I would rent him a suit but if I don't know of this experience first hand they will need to show me a card. The same conditions would apply for someone wanting to participate in any training while wearing a dry suit like say...an ice diving class.

In fact we had a guy show up for an ice diving class with a new dry suit he had only one dive in. We didn't let him under the ice, go figure.

We provide the class with a dry suit purchase.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...

In fact we had a guy show up for an ice diving class with a new dry suit he had only one dive in. We didn't let him under the ice, go figure.

AMEN!
Ber

My LDS provides the class for free with the purchase of a suit so I'll probaly take it when i buy my suit there. Although I'm sure I could ask one of the drysuit diving members of the dive club I belong to for some pointers on use.

Back
Top Bottom