Dry Suit Certification Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

taat2d

Reaction score
OK Here it is my totally dumb question;

Is a dry suit cert. course totally neccessary? Or can someone learn proper techniques from an experienced dry suit diver?:bonk:

taat2d once bubbled...

Is a dry suit cert. course totally neccessary? Or can someone learn proper techniques from an experienced dry suit diver?

Will this experienced diver do pool work with you? If not, take the course. After 25-30 dives, I'm just starting to get really comfortable in my dry suit. I felt pretty good after 10 dives, but the last 15 I'm getting the hang of how much air to put in the suit.

However, I took the course from the LDS that sold me my suit, who taught it for $25/person. My wife got her suit from Ebay brand new from a dive shop that went out of business, and I can't imagine trying to dive in the suit without having spent some time in the pool working on the basic drysuit stuff.

Yeah, the course was *totally* easy, and I probably could have dove without it, but for me it was worth the (very small) $$ to have someone monitor us and give us hints on how to react when certain things occur. All of the information can easily be found on the net, but the instructor has it all packaged up during the class.

Also note that our LDS wanted us to get a 'DrySuit' certification card, which both of us blew off since it wasn't worth the additional $25-30/person for a card that is completely useless. The dive police aren't going to refuse to allow me to dive in my drysuit w/out a card, are they? :rolleyes:

Nate

My wife and I were supposed to go out and do a beach dive early this AM - but when it rains in So Cal the run-off makes all the local coves about as clean as a public toilet.

We completed our dives in a large, deep pool the LDS leases. First came about a half day of class last week, then today the dives.

I bought my wife's suit through these people - got mine directly from the manufacturer at DEMA a few weeks ago. Its being custom cut, so I completed the course and will dive this weekend (and likely the next several) in a rental.

Her course was free with the suit, they gave me the course at a discount as we took it together. It was totally worth it.

There's more to the course than just diving, learning trim, filling, dumping, etc. The part of the class I enjoyed most was the donning, doffing and care of the suit. This is our largest investment in our diving, and CARE is as important as use if we're going to get years of service out of it.

The LDS set up the LP hose and tested our reg - offered recommendations for hose placement. They cut the seals to assure a perfect fit (well, on my wife's suit anyway...) spent time in showing us how to fold it, store it, etc. Tons and tons of little tips for putting it on and taking it off. Stuff you don't get from the books - only from experienced divers.

The instructor went to the pool with us today - just the three of us. We spent way over an hour under water...doing the drills, overfilling, dumping, self arrest of a feet first ascent, etc. It was luxurious, personal, thorough and instilled a sense of confidence and accomplishment.

My wife and I are off to Catalina by ourselves for two days tomorrow (Sunday) first AM to do another 6 or 7 dives over the next two days. Although I am cautious and very new with the suit, and even though I have about 50 dives, my wife has about 80, we'll dive within our limits as we work on weighting, trim and learn the on-ocean nuances of the suits.

The course was well worth it. I can't wait for tomorrow. Better weather would be nice, but hey - you have to dive in all weather or you may as well just be a vacation diver, you know?

Ken

taat2d once bubbled...
Is a dry suit cert. course totally neccessary? Or can someone learn proper techniques from an experienced dry suit diver?:bonk:
Yes.
Rick

I'll second that. The dry suit in itself is not that complicated. However, what it does is add another layer of complexity to diving. It's like going from air to nitrox. Each time, you have to do a little more. And since, it all comes down to being comfortable in the water, there's nothing like learning from a good instructor. It takes more than a good diver to be a good teacher.

Take the course. A dry suit can be extremely task loading for the inexperienced. The course will give you some experience, while under the guidance of a training professional…………………..Arduous

OK I see everyone seems to be in agreement with taking the course. Now the next problem I seem to be having is that my LDS where I'm purchasing my drysuit doesn't give drysuit courses. Do I call another LDS and see if I can take the course through them? The LDS is giving me a VERY good price on the suit. A price I can't turn down.
Joey:confused:

You seem to have given your LDS first shot at getting the money for your dry suit course, that was fair. Since they do not offer the course you don't have to feel bad for buying the suit from them and taking the course from another shop.

Enjoy your suit! Remember, it may be frustrating for MANY dives but eventually you will get the hang of using the dry suit. I'll be breaking mine out again Saturday, hopefully this year the suit and I will come to an understanding--I'M the boss not the suit!
Ber :bunny:

i took the specialty course from a diff LDS than where i eventually bought the suit from. why ? because the LDS didn't have rental suits to play with and i wasn't sure i wanted to plunk down lots of dough to find out i didn't like to dive dry :)

the class used the DUI 50/50, but i bought the 2mm compressed neorene suit. the LDS i bought the suit from actually had me hang out with them during one of the OW sessions and the instructor ran me through familiarization drills. boy i loved that LDS. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom