dry-suit attachment alteration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubagurl

New
Reaction score
in cold water we scuba divers a required to wear a dry-suit to prvent hypothermia, in order to adjust the buoyancy of the suit a low pressure hose runs from our tank to a connaceto on the front of the suit, if the hose becomes accidentally disconnected we must rplecae it underwater, which is difficult to do since our mask prevents clear sight of the connection and the neoprene mitts prevent touch sensitivity, does anyone have any ideas on how to develop a new low-preesure fitting that will be easier to align and connect under these circumstances?

You probably don't want to read this...

If you check the redneck divers thread there are a few references to pickups, exhaust, etc. Just replace your current valve with one like you would find on a garden hose, then run a garden house to the exhaust on your pickup, where it is duct taped to the exhaust. This method does limit the depth/distance you can go, however, it should keep you nice and warm, and clearly identify you as a diver, by the 'slight' smell of exhaust on your clothes. You'll need to incorporate some sort of demand valve though otherwise you will look like a diving balloon.

Hi Scubagurl & welcome. I find that my LP inflator hose easily connects & disconnects from my drysuit inflator. In fact I have disconnected it and reconnected it during a dive while wearing 5mm gloves (why? I dunno. narced? I was not diving the swamp-diver model :). The quick-release slides easily & has grippie knurlies on it... The one for my BC inflator is almost smooth & hard to operate.

-kate

ps
can you fill out your profile for us nosy scuba-boarders?

I really just wanted to say hello.

I can understand the connector being hard to feel due to the gloves but couldn't you work with it out of the water with the gloves on and your eyes closed. I'm a North texas diver so I don't dive dry and like a number of other divers on the board I am a WWW (warm water weenie).... jeeze I feel like I just joined a support group or something...

Hi my name is Tom.... and I'm a whimp when it comes to cold water...

Welcome to the board

Tom

There are several types of inflator fittings on the market; the "Seaquest" style that is the US standard just happens to be the least user-friendly version of them.
If you can get your hands on a Viking or Poseidon Unisuit, check out their inflators. Much easier to operate the disconnects, something that I rate as an important safety feature.

Another hose to look at is the one on a Dive Rite suit, which is also the same as a Dacor hose. There are two wings on the the inflator hose connection that are easy to use with thick gloves. With my neoprene suit I would only wear 3mm gloves regardless of the water temp, including under the ice, just so I would be able to work the connector if I needed to. It will be nice to try 5mm gloves this year with the new suit.

Joel

No idea about what you are talking about... I usually just go in my swimming tunks down here in Florida. However, I just HAD to give you a warm welcome from Orlando... to the best board, SCUBA or otherwise on the net! I hope you get to meet as many nice people and learn as much as I have. Have fun (and stay warm).

:tease:

Scubagurl,

I just think its a matter of practice. Can you get into a pool and just play around taking it off and putting it back on? I think you'd feel more comfortable after a while.

If you squeeze the knurled end back with your thumb and forefinger before trying to install the fitting onto the drysuit, it works better than shoving it on and then trying to pull back the spring. That's my method anyway.

Scubagurl

I can understand what you're talking about --- what's a bit of cold water between divers?

As for the disconnecting issue. Although other suits may have different setups, I suspect you probably don't want to spend additional money to buy a new one just for this reason. Solution? Practice, practice, practice on dry land. Wearing your suit, your gloves and your mask. It should become second nature. Also, thread your drysuit inflator hose through the armhole of your bcd (I've got mine coming underneath my arm). That way, it should have very little opportunity to get snagged and become disconnected.

Practicing disconecting the hose is also a good practice -- it's the best way to assist you in preventing a run away inflation in your drysuit.

It doesn't happen very often, but if you spend a lot of time crawling through the mud & etc, you may wind up with a runaway inflator problem. (stuck button)
Proper technique to deal with it is to raise left arm up & operate the dump with the head while your right hand is disconnecting the inflator hose.
That's why it's nice having a reliable quick disconnect that's easy to operate with 1 hand.

Back
Top Bottom