Dry Suit advice, part B: undergarment advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dberry

Hydrophilic
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Like I said in another thread, I just bought my first drysuit - a used White's fusion tech. I believe it's in good shape and complete, but now I need to get thermal insulation. As I understand it, I'll want a wicking layer against the skin, and a more serious insulating layer for warmth. Chalk it up to bioprene, or whatever, but I seem to have pretty good resistance to cold (compared to my dive buddies.) I'm not looking to start diving under the ice anytime soon (if ever), but would like to be comfortable in the dry suit in 50 - 70 F water. Low to mid-70's and above and I'm good in a 3mm full wetsuit.

And like most gear, there is a bewildering array of manufacturers and product lines to choose from. Any recommendations for a good first set of undergarments? Any bad experiences you feel like sharing?

Thanks in advance!

I'm very happy with my Thermal Fusion. It's one piece, double layer, fleecy. Very warm and flexible. I've been comfortable down to 37 Deg, and under ice in my Fusion Tech/Thermal Fusion combo.
I use a slippery rash suit under it to make it easy to don. Any dampness on your skin, and getting into it is a b**ch.

you're in philly, do you have any cold weather gear? ski gear? etc? Good pair of merino or smart wool socks, underarmour type wicking laying, then polartec/sweat pants or shirt, etc etc on top. No reason for dedicated scuba undergarments. Just go to REI or LL Bean and go thru their ski and snowboard clothes. Same concept, same products, cheaper price

I have the Fusion Tech (soon to be replaced with a Santi), and I've been pretty happy with my Fourth Element underwear. I wear a base layer, the Xerotherm, and the two-piece Arctic for Northeast diving, whereas the base layer and the Arctic are just fine for the Floridian caves. I was not terribly impressed with the Whites MK2 undergarment that came with my drysuit. That's partly because I am pretty short, and the damn thing was miles too long for me, so I had a lot of excess material bunched around my waist. The jacket was also a "straight up and down" affair, and did not follow the contours of my body - I have an hourglass shape, so I either had to yank it down over my hips, or pull it up so it ended at my waist - where I already had a lot of excess material from my onesie undergarment. If you're not a short woman, this is probably not relevant to you, but it was a huge PITA for me. I have had lots of drysuit floods, and the Arctic kept me fairly warm and dry - the MK2, much less so.

Seconding tbone's wool advice. There's no other fiber which is better at keeping you warm while damp or wet, and you will at the best get damp.

Now if you were diving a trilam suit in cold water, I'd recommend a layer (or two or three) of wool, then a good undersuit, say a Weezle or a good Thinsulate based suit. With your suit, I'd just go for the aforementioned layers of wool. The layer next to your skin should be as thin as possible.

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

Thermal Fusion + MK0 base layer. However, for an uncompromised comfort have a look into the department of heated undergarments.

you're in philly, do you have any cold weather gear? ski gear? etc? Good pair of merino or smart wool socks, underarmour type wicking laying, then polartec/sweat pants or shirt, etc etc on top. No reason for dedicated scuba undergarments. Just go to REI or LL Bean and go thru their ski and snowboard clothes. Same concept, same products, cheaper price
I'm really glad to hear this... I DO have cold weather gear from skiing and wool socks, etc from winter camping, etc. And two-piece polypro long underwear. I'm not sure my wool cap with the ear flaps and pom-pom on top will serve, but I'll definitely give my other gear a try under the dry suit before sinking more $$.

It's funny, but when I started doing winter camping about half of my friends bought new, expensive wool pants, but the rest of us went to the Salvation Army thrift store and had our pick of dozens of 100% wool pants for <$10. I'd still be wearing those pants today, if my circumference hadn't increased so much over the decades...

i would +1 fourth element undergarms

i have the fourth element artic expedition top and just artic leggings.

fourth element is nice, I've done some development work with them *I'm a textile engineer btw*, but they aren't worth the money if you already have good undergarments. Polartec is polartec, whether it is purchased in a $300 top from fourth element, or a $30 clearance top from REI. Basis weight matters, and proper layering matters. Fourth Element has put some nice design features into their garments that truly do increase performance and convenience, however, like DUI and Santi Drysuits, Scubapro/Apeks/Poseidon/Atomic regulators, etc. by and large they aren't worth the price premium when buying new, over something like a USIA suit or Dive Rite regs.

If you have stuff that will keep you warm, try it before you start buying other stuff.

Im with tbone. I do not have special underwear. I use a good base layer that I have for cold weather hiking, something that is wicking, and then over top I have fleece pants and on top I use an Under armour cold weather sweater. I have been in water that is 2-4 Celsius ( need a US friend to convert that) and have been ok.

Back
Top Bottom