Dry Suit advice, part B: undergarment advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Would those be adequate for ~8*c-15*c? (I dive 16*c in my 5/7mm wetsuit). This is the first time I've owned a dry suit as I've previously been living in a tropical environment for my diving.
People are different, so is their tolerance to cold. But I'd say you'll probably keep decently warm. I have a 200 gsm Scubapro undersuit, and I use it with a thin base layer from 10-12C down to ~6. If the water gets colder, I layer with a slightly thicker wool t-shirt or two and that keeps me nice and warm down to 3-4C. A not too thick polarfleece shirt is also an option, just make sure it's got a crew neck :)

And my second question, if it's not adequate, I have a Lavacore long sleeve shirt. Would I wear the Lavacore under or on top of the Bare undergarment I linked?
I probably wouldn't use the Lavacore. Granted, I have no personal experience with those products, but AFAIK they're designed for use under a wetsuit, not as a dry layer. Insulating layers developed for topside use are probably better suited (heh!) for keeping you warm while you're (reasonably) dry.

People are different, so is their tolerance to cold. But I'd say you'll probably keep decently warm. I have a 200 gsm Scubapro undersuit, and I use it with a thin base layer from 10-12C down to ~6. If the water gets colder, I layer with a slightly thicker wool t-shirt or two and that keeps me nice and warm down to 3-4C. A not too thick polarfleece shirt is also an option, just make sure it's got a crew neck :)

I probably wouldn't use the Lavacore. Granted, I have no personal experience with those products, but AFAIK they're designed for use under a wetsuit, not as a dry layer. Insulating layers developed for topside use are probably better suited (heh!) for keeping you warm while you're (reasonably) dry.
I have a Viking and have tried different undergarments. The Viking on me is like a big sack with a lot of space to fill to keep me warm. The problem with layering is the more I layer, the less flexibility I have. Try bending over to put your fins on with a bunch of layers on. I can't, anyway. Recently I have been using Lavacore pants, Lavacore vest and Lavacore full shirt with ski pants on top and a loose sweatshirt. The arms get chilly but the rest of the body is bearable for the type of diving I do.

I dive alone a lot and flexibility donning and doffing (as well as flexibility gearing up) is important with the drysuit. I have had a couple floods and the Lavacore will keep me warm a few (life-saving) minutes longer than the other types of drysuit garments when it gets soaking wet. Also my drysuit is one of those somewhat-dry suits. I sweat a lot in it and condensation is an issue I think. I have learned ways to stop most of the leaks I have had in the past. I would be a lot warmer with thicker garments but the flexibility is a big factor for me and I will recommend the Lavacore for this reason. It's not a cheap alternative. You will pay the same as you would for the good, thick undergarments.

The only reason I mention the Lavacore long sleeve shirt is because I already had it for cooler water diving in my wetsuit, and I was going to use it with board shorts for tropical summer diving (but alas, I relocated away from the tropics before summer).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom