"dry snorkel"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chewslife2

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Is thre a "dry" snorkel with a high volume breathing capacity that really works, or are all snorkels the same in waves and choppy conditions, whats the answer to not breathing water when using a snorkel in adverse conditions?:shakehead:

Is thre a "dry" snorkel with a high volume breathing capacity that really works, or are all snorkels the same in waves and choppy conditions, whats the answer to not breathing water when using a snorkel in adverse conditions?:shakehead:

If you're actually snorkeling, the Ocean Master is completely dry. It contains a valve at the top that closes to keep out the water. You might not always get air, but you definitely won't get water.

Terry

Here's one that seems to go the next step. We need a guinea pig.

My Genesis Mojave dry does well in waves but if the wind is blowing the wrong way the flapper will close at annoying, sometimes distressing times.

Pete

US Divers Total Dry snorkel is totally dry when submerged or if a wave hits it. A student gave it to me because it would block the air flow when she titled her head and allowed the top of the snorkel to touch the water. It truly is a dry snorkel; almost to the point it is annoying.

U.S. Divers Total Dry Snorkel - TOTALDRY - BoatersWorld.com
I'm not promoting the website; just using it because it has a picture of the snorkel.

C

I also have a genesis mojave. Have not tried the oceanic. And realize that you specifically asked about using a snorkel but as a DM and soon to be instructor the best solution for really bad chop if you cannot get under it is to keep the regulator in. Unless your OOA of course. Some times common sense solutions beat equipment solutions. For what it's worth I carry a snorkel in my pocket but if the conditions make using it a pain then it's time to stow it and put the reg back in. I am diving not snorkeling anyway.

Yeah , I usually drop down and get under it all, but as most of my dives are shore dives I'm just looking for a better piece of equipment to locate where I want to actually drop rather than burning it up getting to where I want to be.
thx
Robert

Welcome to SB Chewslife2! I to like to use a snorkel alot. I find it easier to enjoy longer dives or leave as much air for emergency use if needed. If conditions are rough waves / surf it is a good idea to use the regulator. I use the Tusa Imprex II and have had good luck with it. As with any snorkel practice and training are the best way to find which one works best. Thats the fun part! Personally, I enjoy snorkeling also when my wife and I were in Mexico we loved the last day pre-flight with some cool liesure snorkeling from shore. Very cool and so relaxing. Have fun and dive as much as you can! Be safe! CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom